For what property damage can tenant's deposit be witheld?

Hello I need some advice from anyone with letting experience please. Our tenant of 5 years has just moved out. We went to the property today and these are the following issues: 1. Property left generally dirty, looks like they did a quick hoover up before leaving, but the kitchen surfaces, sink, cooker, oven... show more Hello
I need some advice from anyone with letting experience please.
Our tenant of 5 years has just moved out.
We went to the property today and these are the following issues:
1. Property left generally dirty, looks like they did a quick hoover up before leaving, but the kitchen surfaces, sink, cooker, oven are filthy, covered in greasy residue.
2. Bathroom also filthy, mould growing on the sealant, inside of the toilet is dark brown which looks like some tough stains or enormous limescale (was left shiny white when they moved in)
3. They have also left all sorts of packaging and rubbish outside the house.
Is the above classed as general wear and tear? Or can we get the professional cleaners in to resolve the above and charge the tenant?

4. The bathroom sink is chipped in one place and the toilet cistern is badly chipped in both corners, looks like they dropped it and the corners got broken. Is this beyond normal wear and tear? Can we get these replaced at tenant's expense.

5. One of the bedroom walls is badly repaired. Our contract did not allow anything but a picture hook, but looks like they had some shelving units or similar drilled onto the walls with screw fixings (about 15-20 holes). These have been removed but filled in so roughly and badly that looks just awful. It then looks like they bought some tester paint and just glazed over the filled in bits.
Can we get the wall replastered at tenant's expense?

5. Mirrored wardrobe slightly damaged internally, shelf supports broken and lost, so the shelves are no longer serviceable, the back wall panel pushed out, the wardrobe needs to be dismantled to get this fixed. Is this normal wear and tear or can we charge the tenant to get this repaired?

6. We bought a new washing machine in July but the model left at the property is different in both colour and spec. I briefly spoke to the tenant and he said this what's been delivered. I haven't had a chance to speak to the retailer yet as it's the weekend so not sure if there was a genuine mistake at a time or our tenant swapped the machines and is just lying? If they are, how do we prove it?

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Thank you
Update: Deposit is held in one of the schemes but needs to be returned after they leave less the damages. I just don't know where one draws a line between wear and tear and damages which they should pay for out of their deposit.
13 answers 13