How to get rid of hissing radiator noise (one pipe steam system)?

I have a one pipe steam radiator in my bedroom. I live in a pre-war building. I would say I'm getting woken up about 4 times a night during each heating cycle. Basically the hissing lasts for a good 10 minutes and it is loud. No way that most people could sleep through it. The hissing seems to be only coming... show more I have a one pipe steam radiator in my bedroom. I live in a pre-war building. I would say I'm getting woken up about 4 times a night during each heating cycle. Basically the hissing lasts for a good 10 minutes and it is loud. No way that most people could sleep through it. The hissing seems to be only coming out of the air valve (cylinder type object attached to the side of the radiator).

Who knows when the air valve was last changed. Do you think changing it would do the trick to make everything more quiet? Does the furnace need to be turned off for me to do that or can I do it when my radiator cools down?

I'd really like to get sleep. I have had steam heating before but never heard hissing like this.

The super would take his sweet time to get this done and I want to take action, so I can actually sleep without being woken up. The air valves seem cheap enough. Although I'm a bit worried because the existing air valve seems really tight.

But I wonder if there are other issues out of my control that I'm not aware of. Any help on this topic would be helpful. Thanks!