What is wrong w/ the Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks? Any chance of them being a contender in 2013-14?

The Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks are no longer a contender for the NBA 2012-13 Championship and are questionable on going the playoffs this year. They are both underachieving. THEY BOTH HAVE GOT TO MAKE A CHANGE TO THEIR ROSTER.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boston Celtics are the most storied franchise in the NBA by winning 17 NBA Championships, eight of those in a row. A record that will never be broken.

The Bill Russell era:

Bill Russell along w/ Bob Cousy K.C. Jones, and Head Coach Red Auerbach helped the Boston Celtics win 11 NBA Championships in his 13 seasons, winning NBA Championships in 1957, 1959. 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963. 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, and 1969.

The Dave Cowens era:

Dave Cowens, , Paul Silas, Jo Jo White, Cedric Maxwell, John Havlicek and

Head Coach Tom Heinsohn helped the Celtics win 2 NBA Championships during the 1970s. One in 1974 and the other in 1976.

The Larry Bird era:

Larry Bird,Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson,Danny Ainge wih Head Coach Bill Fitch, then K.C. Jones, helped the Celtics win 3 NBA Championships during the 1980s, in 1981, 1984, and 1986

The Big 3 and Big 4 era:

Paul Pearce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen known as the "Big 3" w/ the emergence of Rajon Rondo became the "Big 4" along with Kendrick Perkins, Glen Davis and Head Coach Doc Rivers

helped the Celtics win 1 NBA Championship in 2008 which is the Celtics 17th NBA Championship.

Danny Ainge, the Boston Celtics current President of Basketball Operations, traded Kendrick Perkins to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Jeff Green, which many fans looked as a big mistake. It appears that the Celtics replace their 1st Class defense for a mediocre offense. After the 2011-12 NBA season, Ray Allen left to go to the Miami Heat, the same team that beat the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Championship that same season. The Celtics signed Jason Terry from the Dallas Mavericks. Recently the Celtics have place their young Center Fab Melo to the D-League for some "long term project. I don't know much time they think they have. They signed Center Jarvis Varnado from the D-League.

In my opinion, the Boston Celtics is in need of a roster change. A trade for Center and former Boston Celtic Al Jefferson, Forward Paul Millsap and Point Guard Jamal Tinsley from the Utah Jazz for G/F Jeff Green, PF Brandon Bass, G/F Courtney Lee, SG Leondra Barbosa, C Jarvis Varnado, C Chris Wilcox, and C Jason Collins.

They could pickup NBA free agents F Keyon Martain, C Eddy Curry, G Allen Iverson, and Tracey McGrady (if he could get out of his overseas contact). I know these player are old but but the Celtics do not build their team around rookies w/ an exception to Rondo. Their veteran experience would this team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dallas Mavericks:

Mark Cuban has been the owner of the Mavericks since January 2000.

Dirk Nowitski, Tyson Chandler, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion with Head Coach Rick Carlisle helped the Mavericks win an NBA Championship in 2011.

In 2011-12 NBA season SG Vince Carter signed w/ the Mavericks, but their Center Tyson Chandler signed w/ the New York Knicks as a free agent, this season PG Jason Kidd signed w/ the New York Knicks, and SG Jason Terry signed w/ the Boston Celtics.

SG O.J Mayo and PF Elton Brand was signed to the Mavericks as a free agent this season.

Center Eddy Curry was signed in the beginning of this season and show promise but was waived and replaced by free agent F/C Troy Murphy. Troy Murphy was also waived. PG Derek Fisher signed w/ the Mavericks as a free agent, but requested to be waived. PG Darren Collision has showed a lot of promise in the beginning of the season. PF Dirk Nowitski has been out due to injury and have recently came back to the lineup, but Dirk alone cannot solve their problems. They need a roster change as well, but not as much as the Boston Celtics.

• ?
    Best Answer

I follow the Mavericks a lot and the main problem is that they are making a lot of mistakes offensively with turnovers and they are the worst team when it comes to rebounding.

Currently, the Mavericks are stuck in a situation like the Suns have had for the past 3-4 seasons with Steve Nash. The Suns back then and the current Mavericks now are stuck with one superstar and are "in the middle" which is bad because that means you won't be getting a lottery pick, winding up getting a 15th, 16th, 17th pick etc., and barely squeaking into the playoffs.

Mavericks are probably not going to be contenders and will look to sign Chris Paul and Dwight Howard if they hit the market. They got to take advantage of Nowitzki's greatness while they have a chance.

I dont have to read all of that to know what your saying because I see it, the celts are the winningest franchise, and Dallas has been on a hell of a run for a decade, the problem I see with Boston is they're just too old.. I mean there primary guys Pierce ,garnett are past there prime, Rondo is the only star on that team , also Danny ainge signed Jason terry, whos been a bust this season, J.T was suppose to replace ray Allen, I just think the supporting cast in Boston is lacking, As for Dallas, well Dirk just came back so anything is possible , depending on how strong he comes back Dallas wouldnt shock me should they go deep in the playoffs, the question is, can mayo play like an allstar? and can dirk get back to being dirk ? But I think Boston is in more trouble than dallas

• The

I'm sorry I'm not reading all of that but I will still answer your question.

The Celtics have been struggling mainly because of chemistry. They lost ray ray and that's a huge part of the team gone. And it doesn't help when the team he left to is the rival Miami heat. They should be able to turn it around though.

The mavs have had injuries. Dirk is their main guy and he's injured. OJ mayo is now the main guy and he isn't a fit for the role. He's a #2 guy AT BEST. He's inconsistent right now I'd rather have him as a third option honestly. He started off strong but is really struggling now.

In my opinion for the Dallas Mavericks, Vince Carter and Dirk Nowitzki are the key. Once Dirk Nowitzki gets healthy and active again, he will soon start averaging 20+ points a game and 10+ rebounds a game. I strongly think Vince Carter is still capable of what he used to do in his prime. But I think Rick Carlisle is using Vince Carter for a different role; as in using him to make plays and pass the ball. I don't think Carlisle has him in the game to score unless he is wide open. Vince Carter is open a lot of times but he doesn't get the ball a lot. I think Vince Carter should be given a chance. Carlisle should put him the starting lineup to see what kind of changes this will make because right now they are failing big time.

no most likely not at all the heat is sadly goung again probably with the thunder