Young adult fantasy with female protagonist?

Hi All I am trying to get some new books to take away with me in two weeks. Im after young adult fantasy with female protagonists

Books that I love are:

Maria V Snyder - Poison Study(2005)

Magic Study (2006)

Fire Study (2008)

Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan - Book 1)[7]

Scent of Magic (Avry of Kazan - Book 2)[8]

Taste of Death (Avry of Kazan - Book 3)

Storm Glass (2009)

Sea Glass (September 2009)

Spy Glass (September 2010)

Kristen Cashmore

All of Tamoras Pierces books

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • *Jess*
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I love Maria V Snyder (Scent of Magic is the next book I'll be reading). Kristin Cashore and Tamora Pierce!! Other I love just as much are:

"The Witches of Eileanan" by Kate Forsyth

6 books in the series 'Dragonclaw' is the first. From Library Journal

In a land where witchcraft has been forbidden, young Isabeau learns the old ways in order to take her place in the battle to overcome the forces that threaten her world. Australian poet Forsyth's fantasy debut details a richly imagined universe with a distinctly Celtic flavor and introduces a resourceful and courageous protagonist. This first novel in a projected trilogy belongs in libraries where the demand for epic fantasy is high.

In the Celtic land of Eileanan, witches and magic have been outlawed, and those caught for practicing witchcraft are put to death! It is a land ruled by an evil Queen, where sea-dwelling Fairgean stir, and children vanish in the night. But in a valley deep in the mountains, young Isabeau grows to womanhood under the guidance of an elderly witch, and must set out on a quest, carrying the last hopes of the persecuted witches.

The "Pellinor Series" by ALISON CROGGON. It goes The Gift, The Riddle, The Crow and The Singing.

Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She doesn’t yet know she has inherited a powerful gift, one that marks her as a member of the noble School of Pellinor and enables her to see the world as no other can. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true identity and extraordinary destiny unfold. Now, she and her mysterious teacher must embark on a treacherous, uncertain journey through a time and place where the forces of darkness wield an otherworldly terror.

"The Old Kingdom Trilogy" by Garth Nix. It goes Sabriel, Lirael and then Abhorsen.

Darker than most fantasy this is a trilogy to really immerse oneself in. Sabriel is at boarding school until her father goes missing and she is forced to return to the land of her birth and assume the role of Abhorsen, guardian of the nine levels of death and warrior against the evil forces that lurk there. With free-magic an untameable peril that daily confronts the stability of the Old Kingdom Sabriel has her work cut out to develop the necessary skills to survive the onrushing cataclysm. Imagine Harry Potter cast into the wilderness and made to fight Voldemort without the safety and education of Hogwarts and his friends. This is stripped down magical fantasy, spectacularly characterised and awesomely exciting.

For something a little different - THE LOST CONTINENT SERIES BY CATHERINE ASARO

~ The Charmed Sphere, The Misted Cliffs, The Dawn Star, The Fire Opal and The Night Bard so far.

Originally a novella entitled "Moonglow" in 2003's Charmed Destinies anthology, The Charmed Sphere is the much-expanded story about a reluctant mage and an equally reluctant heir. Chime is living an idyllic life with her family in the rural hamlet of Jacob's Vale. But her life is turned upside down when one of the King of Aronsdale's most trusted advisers, searching the kingdom for shape-mages, identifies her as a promising mage with powerful undeveloped ability. Chime reluctantly agrees to travel to Castle Suncroft, where she is to be trained in the art of magecraft -- and also groomed for her marriage to Prince Muller, the heir to the throne of Aronsdale! Muller is the nephew to the king, and the last thing he wants to do is get married and rule a kingdom. He's more concerned with fashion than affairs of state. When the King of Aronsdale dies and Muller continues to postpone his royal ascension, the leader of a neighboring kingdom -- along with an insane mage bent on destroying Aronsdale -- sees the transition as the perfect time to strike.

Other authors that are just as good but that I'll just name are:

Isobelle Carmody

Phillip Pullman

Mercedes Lackey

Kristen Britain

Trudi Canavan

I hope you like the sound of at least one of them ^_^

Source(s): I am my source ... who wants to know?
  • chorle
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time and some of her other books I think An Acceptable Time does

http://www.madeleinelengle.com/books/

So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane

Nina Kimberly the Merciless

http://christianaellis.com/?page_id=546

Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett although more a chapter book

I think Y!A user Steven J Pemberton's Death and Magic ebook has a female protagonist

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pembers

• 8 years ago

Divergent series by Veronica Roth

The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (It sounds cliche but it really isn't!)

• Matched (#1) and Crossed (#2) by Ally Condie

Beautiful Creatures (#1), Beautiful Darkness (#2), Beautiful Chaos (#3) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

In The Forests of The Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Token of Darkness by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Paranormalcy (#1) and Supernaturally (#2) by Kiersten White

Intertwined (#1), Unraveled (#2), Twisted (#3) by Gena Showalter

Shiver (#1), Linger (#2), Forever (#3) by Maggie Stiefvater

Clockwork Angel (#1), Clockwork Prince (#2) (Prequel series to Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (#1), City of Ashes (#2), City of Glass (#3), City of Fallen Angels (#4), and City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments series) by Cassandra Clare

Hush Hush (#1), Crescendo (#2), Silence (#3) by Becca Fitzpatrick

The Angel Experiment (#1), School’s Out Forever (#2), Saving The World and Other Extreme Sports (#3), The Final Warning (#4), MAX (#5), FANG (#6), ANGEL (#7), BOOK 8 [Maximum Ride series by James Patterson]

GONE (#1), HUNGER (#2), LIES (#3), PLAGUE (#4), FEAR (#5) [GONE series] by Michael Grant

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

13 Days To Midnight by Patrick Carman

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Willow by Julia Hoban

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Nightshade (#1) and Wolfsbane (#2) by Andrea Cremer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The Hunger Games Triolgy <3

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Why don't you check this site here: http://indiebookfestival.com/ . There are a bunch of today's hottest fiction books here and there are some that have female protagonist too. You should definitely check this site out and see if you can find the books that you are looking for. :)

• 8 years ago

This book has a strong female in it... not the protag... but still... a great read and an amazing woman! Treasures of Darkness Treasures of Light

Book: http://amzn.com/B00AE31PBG

• 50 Shades of Grey

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.