Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kobe5x
Lv 4
Kobe5x asked in SportsBasketball · 8 years ago

Does the MVP award go the the best player or the player most valuable to his team?

Right now it seems like an easy choice that Melo should be MVP but LeBron is mentioned alot to be a big favorite. LeBron can go for best player but to the player most valuble to his team is Melo easily. The Heat lost by 10 to the Pistons without there second best player who to an MVP is just a role player and Melo has been playing without their second best player Amare all season and has lead them to first in the East. Without LeBron on the Heat your left with a former finals MVP and a good side kick in Chris Bosh. I think they would do pretty well without LeBron.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It goes to the most popular player

• 8 years ago

Neither. It goes to the best player on the best team. I've always thought the MVP should just go to the best player, period, regardless of team records. That would voting for MVP a lot simpler.

• STEVE
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It goes to the player who generates the most wins for his respective team (generally the best player on the best team)

You can be the best player in the NBA, but if your team is .500, you have no chance of winning the award.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The only quantitative stat I can think of that determines value is +/- . Check which player has the highest +/- score and he's the most valuable player

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • It Became a Popularity contest Like the Dunk Contest.

• Sonic
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Lebron is more valuable to the Heat than Melo is to the Knicks.

Honestly, I think the most valuable player for the Knicks is Jason Kidd.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.