Jackson K asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

vaccines? (20 characters)?

How many vaccines do you use?

(figuring out how much $$ to bring to the store tomorrow)

I do Rhino, West Nile, and Flu for my horses.

I have talked to multiple people who said they only use those three for their horses and foals.

BUT I just got a 8 month old rescue foal and need to vaccinate him. are there different vaccines for foals?

- I live in WA state

- Where I live you buy the vaccines and do them yourselves (instead of buying them, and paying the $70 farm call for the vet to come give them)

- don't travel a lot or come in contact with horses other than my own

- but since he is a foal, I am bringing/walking him around a lot to desensitize him

thanks.

Michael,

I have. AND I am asking here because this is a forum for questions about horses; I am looking to get every ones opinions/what they do and use.

Hopefully people that have horses will answer.

(it is pretty easy to tell the answers of people who don't have horses...)

Michael,

• gallop
    Favorite Answer

I'm posting the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) veterinary guidelines for equine vaccination. which you can navigate through for information. You can click on "core vaccinations" to find vaccines recommended for all horses, and on "risk-based vaccinations" to find those that are recommended only based on risk factors affecting specific populations of horses, and that your vet should advise you on. The appropriate schedule is included for each vaccine recommended.

For example, here is an excerpt from the guidelines on tetanus vaccination:

".....Foals of mares vaccinated against tetanus in the pre-partum period: Administer a primary 3-dose series of tetanus toxoid beginning at 4 to 6 months of age. A 4 to 6 week interval between the first and second doses is recommended. The third dose should be administered at 10 to 12 months of age....." .

".....Foals of unvaccinated mares or mares of unknown vaccinal history: Administer a primary 3-dose series of toxoid beginning at 1-4 months of age with 4-week intervals between doses. Serologic data indicates that a 3-dose initial series produces a more consistent anamnestic response in all foals, regardless of the age at which the series is initiated. Tetanus antitoxin is indicated to provide passive immunity in situations where a foal is born to a non-vaccinated mare and is at risk of tetanus infection.(See Tetanus antitoxin above.)....."

Here is the link to the guidelines. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.aaep.org/vaccination_guidelines.htm

Source(s): Registered Nurse and 59 years with horses

Personally as the foal is a rescue, I would rather pay the $70 call out fee and have the vet come and do them for you. At the same time he can give the foal a once over and answer any of your other questions you have to ask like feed and growing height and such.

You need to talk to YOUR vet. Each state and even each area within the state has different diseases that are common. Yes there are a lot of commonalities but you still need to tailor your vaccinations to your area. For example, it doesn't do someone living near Flagstaff any good to vaccinate for west nile if there are not enough mosquitoes to spread the disease. In addition your vet may be aware of local outbreaks near you that none of us are aware of, that may affect what you vaccinate for.

• Emura

We do a 6-way plus Rabies and Strangles.

The reason we do a 6 way is because at shows we come across horses imported from Puerto Rico, Columbia, etc.

Instead of asking here, did you, or have you thought about horse /equine,/equestrian or even large animal Veterinary websites to seek your information, get answers, or ask your questions? You'd be much more likely to get a rapid, accurate, and true answer on one of those rather than here! Even try Googling it first. Word it several different ways until you can get An answer, hopefully! Good luck!

Source(s): Knowledge. Thinking. Common sense. Education.