Why is my steam game downloading so slow?

Ok so Im downloading Left 4 Dead 2 and my rate is around 100 KB/S which is horrible. Usually I can get around 1 MB/S. Im using a different internet connection than usual though. My current internet connection speed is 144 Mbps so Im assuming the steam download SHOULD be going faster than 100 KB/S. I have no other programs or games running so I dont know why its taking so long. Thank you for any help on how I can solve this issue or why it is happening.

Favorite Answer

I am having the same issue. You have a nice internet speed going on there so that's not the problem. I believe it is the simple fact that Steam needs to optimize the servers so that everyone can download with the speed there internet is meant to handle... Being December and all, I think it makes it worse but I am guessing that you have had this problem for a while now, I have at least. It might make it a bit faster by changing your "downloading region" but even doing that I only get 200 Kb/s. You can do this by going to the Steam tab > Settings > Downloads + Cloud. My conclusion for this madness is that there are a lot more users on Steam downloading and playing but Valve has the servers that were made back in the day to handle what there is today. So it is Steam's fault, not yours and they need to get their stuff together and moving. But if you research around there might be a temporary solution around it, I am not sure though. The best place to find it would be on the Steam forums, many other people are complaining about this as well so there is bound to be something.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

I did find this.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Connect to a server that is the least busy while also being semi-close to you.

Steam Slow Download

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ok so Im downloading Left 4 Dead 2 and my rate is around 100 KB/S which is horrible. Usually I can get around 1 MB/S. Im using a different internet connection than usual though. My current internet connection speed is 144 Mbps so Im assuming the steam download SHOULD be going faster than 100 KB/S....

Source(s): steam game downloading slow: https://shortly.im/Rfm3Z

Thats because its 11gs...try downloading a smaller version if you can find it...but that download is huge, the biggest game download ive ever downloaded, "on a 400g mac" was only 3 gigs and it took two days lol...thats a tough one im not sure what you should do but find a smaller version..