promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jeremy asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 7 years ago

Would it be hard to become famous in Japan?

I know this could be deemed by some as an absurd question, but I'm going to continue anyway.

Would it be hard to become famous in Japan? I mean, don't they need Americans to act or do other things, just like we "need" Jackie Chan or Penelope Cruz? Or, rather, we don't need them, but we accept them (if that makes sense).

If it matters any:

- Blonde hair and blue eyes (only mentioning this because there seems to be a cultural attraction of some sort)

- Fluent Japanese (by then, and yes, I know the difficulty)

- 5 ft. 11 in.

- Exteemely agreeable (I'm reading Pride and Predjudice)

- Nice

- Intelligent*

* By no means am I trying to boast.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not easy, but yeah, look at Pakkun. The guy who graduated from Harvard. He's one of the few famous foreigners that seems like a down-to-earth kind of guy. Dave Spector is not my image of a role model although yeah, read their stories, you could even write a fan letter to Dave Spector, I bet he'd write you back. Asking him how to make the initial leap.

Patrick or Pakkun got his start doing comedy as a team with a Japanese guy, and then branched out and did his own thing, which included doing an English conversation TV show.

If you're smart and nice and good-looking and affable and handsome, with a bit of luck and lots of hard work, you could very well become famous. I know several folks who are on the radio, in TV commercials, and do announcing and emceeing work. That's even fairly common. You'd damn better speak and read Japanese better than a native speaker---If your character is stupid, like Bobby Olugun, you have to be smart enough to know the Japanese word and deliberately mistake for another word that makes an absurd statement that gets laughs. I'm always impressed with the "fake dumb" ones.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

For the 90% of people who aren't athletes, personality CEOs, or media scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, "becoming famous" means succeeding in show business.

There are two ways for an American to be successful in Japanese show business. One is to be a successful first in the US and then be a global star so that Japan is one of your big markets. This has the advantage of not needing to be fluent in Japanese. But you've guessed right if you think this is a hard success to earn.

The other way for success is to be a Japan-based show business personality who happens to be American. You'd want to be able to recite the career paths of successful American predecessors in a heartbeat to show you know what it takes. Read up at least on Patrick Harlan, Daniel Kahl, and Dave Spector. Read up also on the rise and fall of Leah Dizon. Perhaps you are hoping for a similar success as hers, since she was picked up pretty much solely on her looks and incredible popularity through Google searches. Her success in Japan didn't last long, and now she lives in New York.

The most important qualifications for celebrity success are determination and luck, but if you want something based mostly on looks, you might want to consider modeling. It's still not a field of work that you can succeed from raw talent and good genetics alone. You need lessons and coaching and still some more such as physical training. But you can build up a portfolio and send it to a model agency in Japan. It's still hard work.

So the short answer to your question is yes. It would be hard to become famous in Japan. If you happened to be at the right soda fountain to be picked up at the right time though, if you don't have the talent and perseverance, you'll still only get a few years out of it at most.

• Paulh
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you want to get famous in japan via acting or films you have to go through one talent agency that manages virtually all the foreign talent in Japan. The company has a reputation for stiffing actors on wages and sometimes not even being paid for months at a time. If you are a recording artist, can sing in Japanese (like Jero) if you are lucky you might be able to get a recording contract. Foreigners hardly ever get speaking parts except as extras.

You need some defining characteristic- there are foreigners who have appeared on Japanese TV commercials as well as TV programs but they were essentially talking heads. Most do not get enough work to work full time and do it as a side-line.

• 7 years ago

It's hard to become famous no matter what country your in. But on the Plus side Japan does have a fascination with the White Caucasian turned Japanese. I would say being white caucasian in Japan gives you a slight advantage, however you need to realize there are also other White guys just like you who looking for the same thing you are. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

no the only westerners they need are to be on the background of TV variety shows with 4-7 Japanese hosts, smile, look interested in the conversation taking place and at the end of each sentence in amusement say EEEEeeeEEHHH

seriously!

• 7 years ago

Yes Japanese loved blond hair and blue eyes, you may have a chance of getting spotted :) If you like anime and manga stuff try getting a job in a maid cafe or something that could start you up for something. I saw a couple western girls working as maids in Akiba. However you must be fluent in Japanese.

Source(s): Lived there for 3 months
  • 7 years ago

It would be about as hard as becoming famous in the US. With the added difficulty of becoming fluent in Japanese first.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, no chance for foreigners.

• 7 years ago

For an unknown, chances are zero.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you would dye your hair.. Then you'll be fine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.