do you think that they should be more dark-skinned hispanic politicians(at least in the USA)?

I've noticed that a lot of politicians who indentify as hispanic and claim to represent the hispanic population are fair-skinned. yes, fair-skined hispanics do exist but they are not a majority. hispanics come in partically come in all different skin colors possible. the fact that many of them are fair-skinned reminds me of the discrimanatory caste system in latin america established by the spainiards. There's need be more hispanic politicians that have more of a amerindian look to them, and some black-hispanic politians would sufice also

you can read up a bit more about the spanish caste system here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casta

a few examples of fair-skinned hispanics are Joe Baca, Alex Diaz de la Portilla, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen,Quico Canseco, Anitere Flores,Cruz Bustamante, Linda Sánchez, Loretta Sanchez, and Nancy Pelosi.

Update:

@thor- honest politicians would be good too.

@Hello There- i just use the word"hispanic" since most people refer to people with roots from south of the american border (mexico, guatemala, agrnetina etc.) as "hispanic". anyways, if I didn't use that word, many reading this question would probably have no clue what i'm talking about. That's how ingrained that word is.

Update 2:

@Hello There-originally "Mestizo" refered to someone with 50% spainiard, and 50% amerindian. Most people in Latin America don't have a 50:50 ratio of the spanish, and amerindian genes. they usually have more of one than another.

I try avoiding using terms such as 'Mestizo' or 'mulato; since that term has different meanings to different people.

'racial' categorization can be so confusing at times. because of that, sometimes i don't even bother to fill out the race categorization section of some form i'm filling out.

yeah i do admit that maybe i was wording this too delicately.

by the way, i meant 'ingrained' in the "social conditioning' sense. i was just to lazy to say social conditioning at the time I typed that, and by the time i realized my bad word choice there, it was too late to fix it.

@Miss Fields and mark- oops,i made a mistake there. if it's kind of a long story on how i made that mistake.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So it's all about skin color. Very telling.

Source(s): Yet his vote counts the same...go figure
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • sallas
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i've got asked hispanics this question and that they are asserting that mild skinned hispanics acquire much less racism. there are some hispanics as mild and blonde as hilary duff and that they do no longer acquire as plenty racism because of fact they're nearer to white and would bypass for white in the event that they had to.

• 8 years ago

Freaking get over it, ppl who think like this are the ones who keep racism alive and kicking, face and admit to the fact. When the hell did any ones race or colour alone make them good at anything. And what good does a politicians colour do any of his voters, if he's dishonest, in it more for his own gain or can't do the dam job. The jobs about running the country, about a nation and representation .... not a dam greedy grab at what colour/race gets what or what colour/race reigns supreme.

If you wanna play that game, the first thing we ought to vote on, is what race and colour gets to run for what position.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

why dont Mestizo's just refer to themselves as such once and for all.

"hispanic" is an artificial nonsense word...its not that there are fair skinned hispanics... there are White, just white, nothing but white people that we are calling hispanic because mixed race folk dont want to call themselves mixed.

we can either do away with "hispanic" alltogether or use it as it was intended... a distinct racial category. But "you" dont want that... clearly non-white hispanics still want to have a weird implied racial relationship with white people.

you have to have no small measure of gall to USE the word hispanic...and then pretend to be offended by the caste system. by using the word hispanic in place of mestizo... you help PERPETRATE what you are complaining about. bizzare hypocrisy.

***edit to questioner

no... if you said mestizo, wich is EXACTLY what you were talking about, Everyone would have understood exactly what you were saying.

you were just AFRAID to use the word mestizo.... its not ingrained, its POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and social conditioning.

you saw fit to mention argentina...why? its a predominantly white country that is literally whiter than the usa.... there are more mestizos HERE then in argentina.

"hispanic" is pure invention...an artificial thats not "allowed" to have a racial defintion..but we are socially trained to use it INSTEAD of saying mestizo. white hispanics are still white, black hispancis are still black.... mixed heritage hispanics are.... what?

thats the PRECISE group your question was addressing, how are you going to possibly address racial issues while you Use a word that meant to AVOID the issue of race entirely.

im not trying to downplay what you are saying... i think its politically correct nonsense on your part entirely.

just trying to explain why its so Bizzare for you to be so unaware of what you are promoting.

we are effectively "not allowed" to see a difference between white, mixed, amerindian and black "hispanics"

thats what WHY the word exists. and its why the point you brought will NEVER be addressed....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I think someone's honesty is more important than skin colour.

ps Since when is Nancy Pelosi Hispanic?

Edit: Ah, OK.

• 8 years ago

The majority of Hispanics and Latin people are mestzio and multi which is Eva Longoria skin tone. I'm Latin and that is my skin tone. Most of the politician look multi, mulatto and mestzio where I'm from.

• 8 years ago

Nancy Pelosi, hispanic? lol. I must be living in another world. Anyway, as the writer of Ask a Mexican, Gustavo Arellano, said ''latinos like there politicians light skined''.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No, I think there should be more honest politicians who aren't corrupted by bribe money from billionaires. I could care less about the skin color.

• 8 years ago

I don't care, as long as they're republicans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.