Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetFacebook · 8 years ago

How can I find out if this profile is fake or real?

Hi guys. I am a 20 year old male who is studying abroad for the year. Last week, I got a friend request from a Russian girl on facebook . I asked her who she was and why she added me... She said that it was a random add because she saw my facebook page on the Erasmus page, and she liked my pictures. She then asked me if I was from the country where I'm studying in . I just played it safe, but I have continued talking to her. Her conversations do seem genuine, but you have to be very weary of random adds on facebook, so I'm still unsure.

Her photos are very glamorous, and in truth on the surface they do like model pictures stolen from the internet which people use when making fake pages. However, I dragged 6/7 of her photos to google images and it appears that the photos are not coming from another random website or facebook page. Her timeline also dates back to 2010, and she does have a load of status's up since creating her facebook page, which was created on christmas day 2010. She doesn't have too many friends tagged in her pictures, but there are a few friends tagged. As mentioned, the majority of her photos are glamorous shots of herself.

My main suspicions are because I don't know why she would have added me. My profile pictures are good I suppose... but in truth I am far from the most handsome guy about. I am not a slob, but I amen't stereotypically beautiful. I wouldn't be a guy whom girls would randomly just add. Also, I have noticed that she has recently added around 10 other random guys as well, according to her recent activity. She only has 112 friends, doesn't seem to have 'liked' too many pages, and doesn't have too much info on her page - bar her date of birth, address, phone number. They are the main reasons why I'm suspicious.

On chat, she seems like a nice girl. She is also really beautiful. This could be a really rare opportunity for me to connect and click with a really beautiful girl who seems to have a cool personality also... but I am just unsure whether it is definitely a real profile or not. I mentioned to her about meeting up after christmas, but I have to be safe incase it is someone pretending to be someone.

How can I find out for sure whether it is a real profile or not?

Favorite Answer

There are scam busting sites with online lists of the names scammers use, their fake job offes, their email addresses, stock copy/paste emails, paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers, stolen pictures and fake websites they use. You could start your search and post/ask at such sites.

If you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Mmmm bit weird?. Main thing to do is click on all her 'friends' that she talks too.. Like you said her Tagged photos right? Well click on the people that's tagged in the same photos.. And if you can't see ANYTHING on there page (photos, comments, friends) etc.. Then she's most probably a fake.. By the sounds of it. She does sound like one.

Bit random and as she looks like a model yet hardly has any friends.

My main thing would be to check all her friends out on Facebook and if there's look fake, she probably is too.

• ?

She seems real just because you didnt find her pics online. The best way would be to Skype her. If she refuses then she probably is fake and you should not meet her. Additionally, you can ask her to write your name on her face or body and send you the pic.

Hehe... "I amen't..."

Add her on skype or something, do a video call, just trick her into proving she's a girl.

OR you can be honest and ask her to prove it. (but nicely :)