Some audio problems when filming?

Alright, I've already posted a question about this, but realized I should have put more info in my first question. I recently got this new shot gun mic (atr6550) and I'm trying to get good results from it. When I use it recording with my canon t3i, there is a lot of static. However, if I hook the atr6550 up to my computer, then there is no static. Some people said the problem is with my cable, but I've only used the nondetachable cable that it connected to the atr6550 to begin with. I haven't connected any other cables to it, so I don't see how that could be the problem. Someone suggested one of these:

http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXA5DA.html?gclid=CILk-5...

But it's a bit pricy for me. Main thing I want to know right now is can I buy a Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder and have the whole audio thing solved? Because I plan on getting one or something similar to it because I would love the luxury of the boom operator moving freely without worrying about pulling the mic cord out of the camera. And if there would be no problem with that, then I don't really have anything to worry about luckily. Or am I missing something?

Favorite Answer

Hi again, "Hunts":

First, since you are using an unbalanced (3.5mm, non-XLR connector) microphone (the Audio Technica ATR-6550), save your money and don't buy the BeachTek mixer, because it's designed for XLR balanced inputs.

You could use the same money for a decent external audio recorder, as discussed in your other Q&As on this subject. (A good one would actually cost less than the BeachTek.) The Zoom H1 retails for less than $100 USD, and has the required 3.5mm input for your ATR-6550 mike.

That gives your boom mike operator the physical freedom you are asking about (get him a good pair of headphones to monitor the H1 recording signal). For differing interior locations you can use the H1's built-in stereo mikes with the whole recorder mounted on the boom pole. Just experiment ahead of time, and be sure to record enough "room tone" for editing into dialogue pauses.

And besides room tone, since you seem to be shooting scripted dialogue sequences, you can use the Zoom H1 to have the actors record their lines during camera & lighting setup time. This will give you backup audio dialogue for "looping" (similar to ADR or dialogue replacement) during the post-production phase.

Meanwhile, I'd still recommend getting the audio input connection on your Canon T3i checked out, especially if it's still in-warranty.

hope this helps,

--Dennis C.

Source(s): Video & film professional. Experience with external recorders. Your other Y!A Q&As this week.
  • rick

You are better off recording to a digital recorder and then syncing later as opposed to going to the camera. Your mic with the H1 should work just fine. Keep in mind that you are using a very cheap mic and the quality is going to be okay but not like if you were using a $1000 shotgun mic.

• dgey1

if has become apparent that you need to learn more about video production. take a class at your local community college. take video production, not film. this will get you shooting more quickly. you have decent equipment but don't know how or what to do with it. very common since everyone thinks," yeah, I can make a video". knowledge is key here. I can take one of today's smart phones and make the same thing you will using superior equipment and get better results, because of my knowledge and skills. you don't need to believe me. look at www.dayswithzahrah.com/episodes and have a look.