What's it like living in a family shelter (mother and child)?

I am going to apply for a shelter with my 4 month daughter I was wondering what it's like living in one if someone could explain what it looks like If i have my own room if there is a crib what should i bring. where i store my food and daughters formula. Is it safe. can people get into my room? All the shelter... show more I am going to apply for a shelter with my 4 month daughter I was wondering what it's like living in one if someone could explain what it looks like If i have my own room if there is a crib what should i bring. where i store my food and daughters formula. Is it safe. can people get into my room? All the shelter living rules can her father visit us? what are visting Hours? I also heard they are putting homless families in hotel rooms? I live in watertown MA I have an understanding that during your time there they assist you in public housing can I apply for towns I want or am I given any town I'd prefer to live in watertown or waltham. Please share your experience in detail and what to expect. thank you