What is the average daily cost of traveling Europe?

My friends and I are planning on traveling through parts of Europe after we graduate this spring. We go to the University of Maryland and they offer a package deal to travel Europe which costs $3500 (no airfare included) for 19 days through 8 countries, and covers out housing and travel costs and some food and entertainment costs.

Here is a link to the offer: http://umaa.umd.edu/Travel/2013/2013_images/essent...

My questions is for those of you who are veterans of traveling Europe. Is this is a good deal? Or are we better off working things out on our own? I understand it will be more work for us to organize our own trip, but it is a sacrifice i am willing to make if the it allows for more freedom on our end while also being more economically flexible.

Thanks very much!

Update:

We're college kids so inexpensive accommodations is the name of the game for us. Hostels, low end hotels and what not.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

19 days, eight countries??? COMPLETELY pointless. All you will do is travel so you might as well stay home and watch a DVD. I've looked at the itinerary and it involves HOURS on buses, with the odd 'free' day which will just drive you mad. For instance, you have one day in Paris - you could see Versailles OR the Louvre, but nothing else on that day given that you need to eat and sleep. The 'morning tour' of London is again just driving around.

surely you have more time than 19 days? You can visit Europe for up to 3 months as tourists. Why not sort it yourselves?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Cost To Travel To Europe

• 7 years ago

That comes to about $184 per day for housing, travel and some food & entertainment. That's not a bad deal, depending on the accommodations and how many people to the room.

You'll have to weigh the benefits on your own, but if you can afford it, having someone taking care of the details for a fixed price could be an excellent way to make your first trip to Europe.

If you're a real do-it-yourself and adventurous kind of person, you can organize your own trip. I've given you a link to Rick Steves' website. He does a series of travel videos that have been on PBS for many years. His advice is usually quite good. There are also links to other sites that can help.

I've been to Europe dozens of times, but each time involves scores of hours of planning. You will have a totally different experience traveling with just you and your friend than you will in a group. Only you can decide if you have the temperament for this kind of adventure.

If you do it alone, I wouldn't even think about 8 countries. The logistics of moving around that much will be mind boggling. You will need to feel that getting lost now and then will be a part of the adventure. You'll also have to negotiate with people who won't all speak English.

Having said that, if they were going to pack you two per room anyway, you could do more with the money on your own IF you knew what you were doing and planned your itinerary well. It's a lot of work to do on your own though. If neither of you is already well-traveled, stick with the tour. Things will go more smoothly.

• Orla C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It's a good deal, but isn't so much travelling as glorified baby-sitting.

You could probably do a lot better if you did your own research on where you wanted to go and what you wanted to see, and invested in a good travel guide book.

Europe is not a country, it is a continent made up of several different countries. 8 countries in 19 days? Come on. That's insulting. You're just making someone somewhere some money, and seeing just enough to get yourself a few bragging rights. 19 days is not quite 3 weeks. You could easily spend that time in Paris alone and just barely scratch the surface. And that's the capital of ONE country ....

Go to the airline websites and investigate what times and days are cheapest to fly out. You can fly into one country and fly out of another.

Invest in a good travel guide book. Consider the possibility of getting around by train, using a Eurail pass. While this may not seem good value when compared with the cost of car rental, bear in mind that distances are considerable and you will need to fuel that car, and it's much more expensive to do that than in the US. Plus there is a minimum age at which you can rent a car. And if you were hoping to pick it up in one country and return it in another, consider the relocation fee also.

Use websites like www.hostelworld.com to check out budget accommodation. If you are going in the summer, there are campsites. However, don't come laden down with expensive electronics if you are. Asking for trouble.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Depends how you want to travel and how much you want to see, do you like nice hotels with a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner or are you happy with a room with a bed and not much else because you know you'll be out all day and partying all night?

$3500 is about £2150 or 2600Euros, from the look of the PDF it looks like you're stopping at a couple of places in each country which could be done cheaper doing it on your own by a fair bit.

Considering exchange rate, London will be your most expensive city. Think of costs here as being without the currency symbol in front, so if a coke costs you $1 there it will be £1 here from a kwikemart/corner store which will actually be $1.6 to you.

I'd get your flight to london and stay in a hotel (travelodge or similar) in zone 2 or 3 (london tube zones go from 1-6, 1 being the centre) for 2 days, hop on the eurostar train to paris, spend a couple of days there and get a eurotrain card which allows you unlimited travel over the train network in europe. Try to ensure that any travelling is done at night to save on a hotel and pack light.

In may it should be quite warm/hot here. If you wanted your trip to last even longer/cheaper it would be best to go direct from London to eastern europe (estonia, latvia, czech etc) where costs are cheaper.

Good luck

Source(s): live in London, have travelled around europe for a year, 2 years in southeast asia and india and next trip it to south america in 2 years!!
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the average daily cost of traveling Europe?

My friends and I are planning on traveling through parts of Europe after we graduate this spring. We go to the University of Maryland and they offer a package deal to travel Europe which costs $3500 (no airfare included) for 19 days through 8 countries, and covers out housing and travel costs and...

Source(s): average daily cost traveling europe: https://tr.im/2C9vg
  • NiNI
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

I think it's too much. Do it on your own. I spent 2 months traveling Japan and spent a bit less than 3000€, INCLUDING airplane tickets and 3 weeks of JR passes.

If you're low on budget as I was or just want to meet new people, sleep in hostels and use couchsurfing. This group packages are always overpriced and they limit your time so you can't really see much.

You don't have to starve when traveling on a budget, just need a bit more planing and wise use of money.

My advice is go on your own.

• 7 years ago

It depends a lot on the kind of places you stay and exactly where and when you visit. In general, you can get by for around $100 per person per day if you stay in hostels and watch your budget. $3500 for 19 days including accommodations, transportation and some food isn't terrible considering that most of the work is taken care of for you and assuming you're staying in decent hotels. I generally spend 100-150 euro a night just for hotels when I go out exploring. Here are some resources that can help you plan and check options and current prices for your trip if you want to compare doing it on your own:

http://www.kayak.com/ - airfares & hotels; the explore function is useful for finding the less expensive places to fly into from your starting point. Tuscany is an entire region, not a town. The most convenient airports to fly into will be Pisa or Florence, but Rome or Bologna are also reasonable options.

http://www.skyscanner.it/ - particularly good for budget flights within Europe, but you can also use everywhere as a destination to do something like the explore option on Kayak. You may not need the airfares, but you can compare to the cost of the trains to get around. this one may be more useful for you. Palermo is a long trip by train, Naples to Palermo is one leg of the trip where you might consider flying.

http://www.seat61.com/ - train schedules and prices. The trains are a great way to get around here. Whether your specific trip is better with a railpass or individual tickets depends on the details of what you want to do. There is no one size fits all answer to this; sometimes a combination of a railpass for parts of a trip and individual tickets for the rest can be best. You need to be aware that even with a railpass, many high speed, international and night trains require reservations and you will have to pay an additional supplement for the reservation. In places like Spain or here in Italy, railpasses are rarely worth the money. Where you're going, they may be especially if you expect to be traveling spontaneously (no fixed schedule) and will not be able to take advantage of discounts for advance purchase of individual tickets. This site will tell you how to determine if a railpass is better than individual tickets for your trip, which one if any is best for you and how to use a pass if you have one.

You should also be aware that there are some passes in Germany which are very good deals that you don't have to purchase in advance: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/… . The Länder-Tickets, for example, allow a full day of use on the trains for up to 5 people for 21 euros and up. This is a great deal for taking a day trip from Munich to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles or other similar trips.

http://www.venere.com/ - hotels/B&Bs - prices for the same hotel can vary hugely depending on the season and what local events are going on.

http://www.hostelbookers.com/ - hostels.

http://www.monasterystays.com/ - monasteries & convents that offer accommodations

You can also look into camping or couch surfing as cheaper alternatives for accommodations.

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.ht… - festivals, exhibitions and events

http://www.backpackeurope.com/ - information & advice

For sightseeing prices: check the websites for entrance fees for the museums & galleries you're interested in. I spend anywhere between nothing and 40 euro a day depending on exactly what I go to see when out exploring. For food, I spend around 25 to 50 euro for a meal, but you can eat for less. I was in Venice recently and paid 32 euro for lunch at Da Raffaele sitting at a canal side table with the gondolas passing by. Here in Italy, You can get a whole pizza for 8 to 13 euro or a pasta dish in the same range. Panini or pizza by the slice is less. For reference, a McDonalds McMenu classico (medium) is going for around 7.50 euro. While you can eat cheaply most of the time, I would recommend getting a good local meal from time to time; that's part of the overall experience that it would be a shame to miss. When I travel, I like to try the local specialties and the good restaurants. While you're in Rome try specialties like Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe and Saltimboca.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.