Gun buy back program in effect in Los Angeles, likely to spread. Is this effective to reduce gun crimes?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Police traded gift cards for guns in Los Angeles on Wednesday, in a buyback program Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced as a crime-fighting response to the deadly shooting rampage in Newtown, Connecticut.

Police officers handed out $200 grocery store gift cards to people who turned in an automatic weapon, and $100 gift cards to those who provided a handgun, rifle or shotgun.

Los Angeles has held an annual gun buyback since 2009, and similar events have been organized in years past in several other cities, including Detroit and Boston. Police in San Diego had a buyback earlier this month.

...Villaraigosa touted the buyback program as one step that can be taken in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, on December 14 that claimed the lives of 20 children and six adult staff members.

Best Answer

Love these gun buy backs.

I once traded in a piece of crap Raven .25 ACP that never worked for $100. More than I paid for it new!

• Lee

Ha,Ha, what a joke.Can't you see gang bangers turning in their guns.The real guns that should be off the streets will never get there with this program.It's just a feel good program some politician thought up to get reelected next year.Picture this: Some old geezer drags out a piece of rust he calls a gun and get $100 dollars for it.He should have sold it on the street for $300 dollars and laugh when it blows up in some gang bangers face.We'll never solve the gun problem in this country,it's gotten completely out of control with the amount of guns already in circulation.Oklahoma just passed a law where you can wear your weapon exposed.Hell, even in the old wild west days you had to check your guns with the sheriff when you came into the city limits.What a bunch of nuts this country is becoming.

• Poppy

These programs are "feel good" for the libs. Nothing more nothing less. Most of the guns that were turned in were broken. Or had sat in a closet for 30 odd years and someone took advantage of the buy program to get rid of something no one has used for years. I'll bet there were no "automatic" weapons turned in, those have been illegal to own for 20 or more years. May have been a few semi-automatics turned in. These programs do nothing to stop gun violence. When we open back up the mental institutions and lock up the insane we might get somewhere on that one.

• Noah

It probably can't hurt. There are a lot of firearms in a lot of closets and drawers no longer being used. If there's no particular person 'in charge' of a particular firearm it could cause trouble down the road. I hope that certain firearms with historical value will be taken out of the pile and sold to collectors. Years ago I had a Colt 1911 .45 ACP stolen and never recovered. This particular pistol was manufactured in 1916 and was in almost perfect and original condition. I suspect that today it would be worth several thousands of dollars. Given that it's almost 100 years old and predated the US entry into WW1, to a collector it would be quite valuable. Of course I'd like to have it back, but......gone is usually gone. If you see an old Colt serial # 79309....it's mine!

So taking guns away from law obiding citizens will make crime go down? Why didnt i think of that? What is your plan to regulate the black market? England has no guns but some how there are still gun related homicide, how do you figure? Cute logic though

I highly doubt that they got any guns from criminals. LA has effectively disarmed the law abiding - I personally, wouldn't give up my guns for $200. What a joke.

• Rance

actually, it was planned long before the connecticut shooting

and yet the homicide rate in LA due to guns is STILL incredibly high!

Yeah, all the criminals were turning in their guns...riiiight.