Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

What are the most widely spoken languages?

I'm just curious. Does anyone know the most widely spoken languages? And how many people speak it?

Thanks!

EDIT: DO NOT TROLL THIS QUESTION OR I WILL REPORT YOU. I ALREADY HAVE REPORTED TWO PEOPLE.

Best Answer

Mandarin Chinese is spoken by the most people (mostly in the same area in and around China), but English is the most WIDELY spoken language (spoken all around the world).

By amount of people:

1) Mandarin Chinese

2) Castilian Spanish

3) English

If you mean native speakers, then there is a good chance the most widely spoken language is Turkish. Although there are some differences, Turkish is spoken and mutually understood in East Turkmenistan (Sinkiang, China), Kirghistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Northern Afghanistan, parts of Iran, Azerbaijan, Turkey, parts of Bulgaria, Northern Cyprus, parts of Russia. I have experienced a Turk being able to communicate with an Uighur from Sinkiang and I have also experienced Chinese from different regions being reduced to writing to each other because they could not understand each other's spoken language.

• Lili

Both Mandarin Chinese and Hindi are way up there, not because those languages are widely spoken outside of China and India, but because the populations WITHIN India and China that speak them are so very large.

See the sites below. The second site considers secondary speakers added to native speakers to give you a list of most widely-spoken languages. You'll have to scroll down a bit for it:

It depends...by "most widely spoken language," do you mean the "most known language throughout the world"? or do you mean the "language with the absolute highest number of speakers"? If the former, then the answer is definitely English because it is the most studied foreign language (in addition to having a few hundred million native speakers). If the latter, then the answer is Mandarin because it has over a billion speakers (when considering both native speakers and speakers who know it as a second/third/fourth/etc. language).

Source(s): I am a linguist.

According to Wiki Pedia the most widely Spoken languages and in the following order are

. Mandarin Chinese

Spanish

English

Hindi

Arabic

Hope this helps

WIKI PEDIA

Chinese

Spanish

English

English is the most widely spoken though.

Chinese

English

Spanish

I believe

English and Spanish are widely spoken, I know.

Mandarin, English.. Spanish, Arabic, German and Russian.

BEST ANSWER

1 ENGLISH

2 CHINESE MADARIAN

3 SPANISH

4 ARABIC

5 PORTUGESE

6 RUSSIAN

7 JAPANESE

8 JAVANESE

9 MALAY-INDONESIAN

10 FRENCH

11 WU

12 GERMAN

13 BENGALI

14 PUNJABI