Car totaled with liability insurance?

I have liability insurance and live in California. I was driving home after visiting my parents, I was going through an S curve and lost control of my car and crashed which totaled my car. I called my roadside assistance to have car towed. The cops showed up before the towed truck arrived. The cop said he could issue me a citation or just take my info and keep it at police station if its needed later if I report it to the insurance (Allstate). I know i cant get anything for my car since i have liability and it was my fault, is it legal for me to call my insurance company to just take car off policy? or do i need to report the accident? The tow truck driver suggested I could probably just sign the title over to his company and they could just scrap car without getting the insurance involved (because rates could go higher). I didn't damage anything except my own car and a dent in the mountain side. its a 2001 nissan maxima that is paid off.

• Mushu
    Favorite Answer

There is no need for you to file a claim, since you don't have the coverage. Allstate will not penalize you.

However, do not cancel the policy if you are planning to buy another car. If you cancel your policy, and then get another car, it will be more expensive to insure. Keep the policy, but just have Allstate remove the vehicle. They can and will do this. Advise them that you are shopping around for a new one, but that the Nissan has been junked. Do NOT tell them you have sold it, as others have recommended. There's a whole lot of legal things you have to get into with the insurance company when you sell your car.

Or, if you're getting a new car right away (within 30 days), simply wait until then to notify Allstate of the changes.

1

Source(s): Lowest Auto Insurance Premiums : http://AutoInsurance.trustdd.com/?APfW
  • Bart

Is it Legal to call your insurance company to cancel? of course it is legal. Just call your insurance company and cancel the insurance. You don't need to tell them why and they probably won't ask and even if they find that you totaled your car should make no difference to them because they didn't pay out anything. Do you need to report the accident? Seems to me it has already been reported. The cops were there, remember ?

Two questions: You have "roadside assistance" but only liability? How does that work?

"The cop said he could issue a citation or just take my info and keep it at the police station........" v You had a "choice" of getting a citation (ticket) or not getting a citation ???? Huh?

A lot of insurance issues revolve around claims, which you are not submitting.

An accident report still needs to be filled out and filed with DMV.

But the insurance company has no need to know.

My solution- buy a new car and have the insurance transferred over to it. This should keep the embarrassing question about accidents from coming up and prevent a letter being written to DMV reporting lapsed coverage.

By all means if you are not doing this, do something to keep from being billed for services you have no need of. Just tell them the car was disposed of and if pressed say it became unserviceable.

usually when you just take the car off the insurance the company will notify your dmv which will send you a letter stating you need coverage or your license will be suspended. if you report the accident your future insurance (at least with them) may be higher. if you keep the insurance you will have to pay the insurance as if you still had the car. but if you buy another car soon, you can simply transfer the insurance from the totaled car to the new car without reporting the accident (since no one was hurt) in the mean time, you should call the insurance company and tell them to place your car under storage policy til further notice. this only costs $15 a month depending on your insurance. when you get another car just transfer it, and your insurance will not go up, and your license will not be suspended. that is ONLY if you plan to get another car soon. if not suck it up and report the accident.

OR DO WHAT THEY SAID ABOVE MY ANSWER^^^^^^^^

The vehicle had a defect and had been repaired 3 instances for the identical thing. It snapped even as using and rolled three times. The vehicle luggage didn't go off, either. Thank God no one was significantly harm, but the car used to be totalled. The tow organization wanted over $800 within the first conversation, then asked how a lot we had. I'm a single father or mother with three children and reside pay examine to pay check. Would simplest afford legal responsibility coverage and had just paid $four hundred to have got to automobile repaired the third time. The wait for the purple slip is 30 days, and i will send it to the tow enterprise, but just got a lean for over $2,000. The automobile was no longer even valued at that amount of cash. DMV says the tow manufacturer should were ready to use the ordinary registration, however the tow enterprise says no. I do not know what to do.

• Steve

Just call you insurance Company and cancel your policy. If they ask just say you sold it. Then sell your vehicle to a junkyard for $500.00. But if the tow Company already has it just sign it over to them as long as the proceeds from the vehicle will cover the towing and storage costs.

• RedNek

Just call the ins co and have the car removed from the policy, but just tell them you junked it, don't tell them why. And pray the police don't tell them anything about it. Since you didn't get a ticket I really don't see why the cops would even bother

Whatever you do, be sure to fix the dent on the mountain.