Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

This question is about martial arts?

When martial arts teachers teach students they teach basic training at white belt, what level do they teach intermediate training and advanced? If anyone knows please answer, thanks!

Favorite Answer

The questions is one of opinion. There are hundreds of styles, perhaps thousands. what would be considered basic, intermediate, or advanced is very different from one style to another and one instructor to another. Personally I tend to teach all three together. I give my students basics they need, some intermediate technique and advanced technique to keep them interested and to get them a bit used to it. By the time they are really ready for the more advanced technique they are beginning to see the principles and concepts behind the technique. This seems to help them with their understanding of everything they have learned and how everything relates.

...

Source(s): Martial arts training and research over 45 years, since 1967 Teaching martial arts over 39 years, since 1973

Martial arts ans sport are 2 totally different concept. They by no means are equal. The 2 look different and are practiced different. Unfortunately many today do not know the difference. Many are being taught a sport and never learn the art. Therefore people with no knowledge of the arts see a weak version of a true art and gauge everyone according to their knowledge of martial arts and they don' have any knowledge. I love how pugspaw, sensei scandal, stillcrazy put it. I have nothing against those that play games. That is great for them. However, I am interested in having the knowledge and ability of self defense. I'm interested in budo. I do not even want to use the term martial with sport. The 2 does not go together. One is a game. The other is war. There is nothing better than when attacked knowing how to position yourself in a manner that the attacker can't do anything, but is exposed to everything that will stop the threat immediately. When I was a child I played tag. I don't play that childish game anymore. We used to trade punches in grade school. I don't trade punches anymore. If I hit you I mean to stop you. I do not look for a referee to say you tapped out. I'll know you are out when the lights go out and you go limp. I'll know that you surrender when I hear or feel the joint snap. I'll know you can't use that limb right now to attempt to harm me or my family.

• Kokoro

That depends on what types of styles as well. And what you consider beginer intermediate, or advance. While there are a few techniques that are advance, in most cases it's application you can have a basic application for a technique, an intermediate and advance, it's all how you. Use the movements. And how you intrepid it.

Not all styles have ranks or use a rank system. And not all people progress at the same rate. There is no simple answer, but it depends upon the individual student and how they progress.

Styles that use ranks white through 1st degree are beginner ranks. At first degree you have an understanding of the basics. At this point you are ready to begin your training.

Source(s): 30 yrs ma

It depends on the style and the teacher. At a mcdojo, it will vary greatly. I was at ATA for only two lessons once, and the blue belts were doing weapons. This is the lack of structure so often found within crappy martial arts schools. A good school will not rush anything. "Intermediate" I consider brown belt through second Dan. Black belt is just the beginning of the journey, you are no longer a beginner, but you are no where near "advanced."

Intermediate at brown belt and all advanced techniques come in after black belt. Most people don't understand that black belt is not the end, rather the beginning of learning and that it merely means that you have an understanding of the basics in that style. Now you can build onto the foundation you have built in the kyu (colored) ranks. That's why style hopping in the kyu ranks accomplishes nothing.

• Leo L

It is gradual, and varies from school to school. I train in ITF style TKD. Training gets serious as you approach first black. Before then, it is a gradual progression, where a little more is expected at each level. Once you achieve first black, you are considered a "serious student." More advanced training is available, and standards are higher, in the black belt ranks. I am currently planning to test for third black, in March. I would consider my training to be at a pretty advanced level.

the intermediate and advanced training is learned straight away, it is often misunderstood by the term basics. a white belt is learning basic skills, a black belt implies knowing basics only.

It depends what kind of martial art you practice, like for instance bjj and gjj they will teach you advanced submission and transitions at blue belt ... Hope it helps

Source(s): Bjj practioner

Some good answers here. But I like Kokoro answer the most.

Source(s): Martial Arts since 1982

Well it depends on the martial arts your learning. Usually about 5 months maybe, idk its hard to tell. Based on your experience they might treat you differently in teaching wise