Is war anything like the movies?

Does a soldier has any control over his survival?It must be hell during war,bullets flying everywhere more than just a guy or 2 aimin at you..a whole unit maybe firing at you(and your unit)..Is it pure luck to not get hit?I dont understand how can one not get shot during war.Seems unimaginable.Is it ANYTHING like... show more Does a soldier has any control over his survival?It must be hell during war,bullets flying everywhere more than just a guy or 2 aimin at you..a whole unit maybe firing at you(and your unit)..Is it pure luck to not get hit?I dont understand how can one not get shot during war.Seems unimaginable.Is it ANYTHING like the movies/video games? where the antagonist has a plan and can pick out enemies and shoot while also know where and who is firing at him..or is it just chaos and disorder with bullets and explosions everywhere,where no man can make much sense of his surroundings?
Update: ----------------- Thank you all for taking time to answer.Every opinion is more than welcome.I guess we all agree in movies (and yes obviously the video games-which are for sole purpose of entertainment) in not being able to show any real aspects and sides of war and the horrible,incomprehensible things that... show more -----------------
Thank you all for taking time to answer.Every opinion is more than welcome.I guess we all agree in movies (and yes obviously the video games-which are for sole purpose of entertainment) in not being able to show any real aspects and sides of war and the horrible,incomprehensible things that happen.
Just asked since i cannot get any idea of what it must be like for a man out there,and could his training do ANYTHING for him at all?..or as i gather from all answers and my own reflection- Its all out of anyones control.
And also especially thanking --Ronald and georgeB for writing. I read every line carefully. Thats the kinda stuff i am lookin for..personal or 2nd hand experience.Keep the answers comin guys.
Update 2: *protagonist