Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

JWs, what exactly is the difference between the soul and the spirit?

I would appreciate it if only Jehovah Witnesses would answer this. Thank you!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Definition: In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′.

rs pp. 375-380 - Reasoning (rs)

The Greek pneu′ma (spirit) comes from pne′o, meaning “breathe or blow,” and the Hebrew ru′ach (spirit) is believed to come from a root having the same meaning.

it-2 pp. 1017-1027 - Insight, Volume 2

It is obvious that soul and spirit are not the same thing because they are two different words in Hebrew and in Greek.

Going back to the original words is important to get the meaning of them.

As already is pointed out

The soul - is you as a person . An animal also has is soul

Genesis 1:20-23. On the fifth creative “day” God said: “‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls [ne′phesh] and let flying creatures fly over the earth . . . ’ And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul [ne′phesh] that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds

The spirit is our life force as is often compared to electricity.

When we die we are in Gods memory and God can give us back our life force ( electricity )

• Login to reply the answers
  • Linda
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You do not HAVE a soul. You ARE a soul Gen 2:7

The bible refers many times to a soul as dying.

The spirit is your active force which ceases to exist at the moment of death.

The bible speaks more than once of there being no knowledge in the grave or that the dead know nothing and that they will be resurrected physically to live on the earth.

The bible also speaks of God's soul which of course, if He is very good, when He dies, it can come out and go to heaven.

Source(s): JW
  • 7 years ago

Well I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, but I know a lot about their theology so I figured I'd answer. Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in an immaterial soul, seeing it as a Platonist doctrine that corrupted Christianity. They believe when the body dies, all consciousness dies with it, until judgment day when God will resurrect all bodies. Those who followed Jehovah will have eternal life (most on a Paradise Earth) and the rest will be annihilated.

• Drew
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Soul..every person is a soul..

a Spirit is a being of Divine origin..

human men and women do not have spirits..and

are not referred to as such..ever..only souls..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bella
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

The soul is what makes you as a whole person, the spirit is what connected you to God.

• Both Drew and Linda answered you the best. There are many different passages to consider on both subjects.

Have you gone into the web-site to look it up?

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005156?q=so...

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200004211?q=sp...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Jehovah will send you to hell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.