What kind of job can I get at USPS?(United States Postal Service)?

I'm 18. I don't have a license or own a vehicle. I have worked about a year in retail, and that's about all my work experience. What kind of position would someone like me be qualified for when it comes to a company like USPS? Do all their jobs require driving? Should I just wait till I get a license before applying?

Favorite Answer

Beginning February 2013, the USPS will begin consolidating many of its mail processing plants, thereby eliminating many of its clerk positions. Many of the smaller post offices in the country will have their hours cut--some to as few as 2 hours of window service per day. If the USPS can get it approved with congressional consent, mail delivery will be cut to 5 days per week.

The USPS recently offered a voluntary early retirement to eligible employees. Over 25,000 took it. However, many more clerks, mechanics, custodians, and truck drivers will see their jobs eliminated and abolished through the proposed plant consolidations.

You're 18. Find a career other than the USPS.

Source(s): USPS employee of 25 years

I would get a license before you do much else. If it a form of identification that many employers and banks etc. continue to use. As far as working for the post office, you may want to rethink that. They are billions of dollars over budget and are closing offices and laying people off. It could be very hard to get a job there. You may want to go online to USPS.com and check careers. Good luck.

There aren't any jobs in the Postal Service. They are closing hundreds of post offices across the US.