Lucy Lu asked in PetsBirds · 8 years ago

I heard you are not supposed to keep a Canary in the kitchen, Why?

Just got a canary for xmas, but I thought I heard on Dr. Oz that you're not supposed to keep birds in the kitchen

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Well, for one thing it's a bit unsanitary as feathers, seeds and dander will fly out of the cage. Also, fumes from cooking (gas stoves, teflon pans) can be harmful or fatal to the bird.

If you had a large enough kitchen, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but keep them away from the stove/fridge/freezer, you don't want them fluffing their feathers into the hotdish;)

Have fun with your new pet!

im not sure how true that is i have had my bird in the kitchen over 7 years, hes healthy with no problems.

• Rachel

I think the first answe given is most practical. I have heard that certain Teflon pans produce odors that can make them I'll as we'll. Good luck

Germs

Birds are reeeaally sensitive to smells, it's not good for them. Not to mention, it's not good for you to cook food where there's a bird and it's feces.