Why is 80's music still so popular today?

Back in the late 90's/early 2000's, people said that 80's music nostalgia would be a temporary thing.

But it's almost 2013, and I see no sign of it slowing down. Actually, 80's music might be even MORE popular than it was a decade ago. Even during sports games, companies are selling 80's music compilations. A lot of clubs hold 80's nights. Many radio stations do an "80's hour" each day.

Why is this? What makes people - even YOUNGER people who weren't even ALIVE in the 80's - fans of 80's music?

Favorite Answer

That was the era metal was getting heavier, rock songs and bands were in their prime, and many new ones being born, and Michael Jackson was definitely at his best in the 80's (RIP). I'll give you examples of new and priming 80's bands:

Metallica

Megadeth

Iron Maiden

Michael Jackson

Rush

Van Halen

Guns N' Roses

Poison

Living Colour

Scorpions

Slayer

Anthrax

Just to name a few. I can name more, of you want. ;)

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awKod

I love 80s music. I think more of us 20 somethings tend to listen to it because (if they were young enough) our parents blasted it during our early years. I know my parents did. Most all my top favorite bands (not all but most) had their hay day during the 80s. Some of the best music was written back then and by people who actually had some talent. Not this made up recycled crap that's mainstream today.

Every era has its music, and it's just time for the 80's to have it's run. It's just like 60's and 70's music had its time with the 90's generation (along with the baby-boomers of the day).

Its super awesome . Im 13 and I mostly (get ready this is gonna be weird ) listen to 1920s and 1930s music like Gershwin <3 . But 80s music doesnt really talk about sex , drugs , or killing unlike today;s music . And its also got a great beat as well

• Every generation digs the culture of the previous generation, this has always happened in popular culture. In the 70's, 50's Rock and Roll was big, in the 90's everyone was into 60's music, now theyre into the 80's. You gotta feel sorry for any kid growing up in 2037?!

Well, sometimes newer bands do covers of older songs, we like it, and listen to the older bands. My dad had me listen to metallica, black sabbath, ozzy osbourne, motorhead, iron maiden, etc. and I can't thank him enough. Avenged Sevenfold covers for Iron Maiden-Flash of the Blade and Black Sabbath-Paranoid. Try listening. The covers are great. Now to move onto new music in the genres of rap and hip-hop. *Big sigh*. Honestly, not a lot of creativity. Only 1 or 2 are catchy, and the others are utter crap. I'm sorry if you like new music, but I can't stand it. Just TRY listening to the bands I listed above and you'll see what I mean. Thank you.

Because some songs from the 80's have a huge cultural following. "The Number Of The Beast" by Iron Maiden (1982) is still widely popular and is considered their greatest hit, shot them to super startdom and is their best selling album.

• I'm surprised people are nostalgic for 1980s music.

I'm old enough to remember that decade & older folks (still older today) were reminiscing about the 1960s.

• Heart

Great source of music, and today's music is in pits of awfulness.

todays music aint got that same soul.i like that ole time rok and roll

Source(s): bob seager