Did you know about the record cold in Eastern Europe and Russia?

I've just been reading about extreme (and record) cold temperatures and hundreds of death along with states of emergency in several countries in that part of the world. But I really came across this by chance as my main new sources don't seem to be reporting on it (CTV News in Canada for example).

Why is this not in the news? Is it possibly because it's not happening in our part of the world? (And I'm speaking about North America for me.)

Although, the heat wave in Russia in 2010 was sure in the news a lot as was the July heat wave in the US this summer. The reason I put this in the Global Warming category is because the Russia and US heat wave stories had many large climate change references.

_________________________________________________________

@Climate Realist: "I thought you knew the difference between weather and climate."

If you know the difference then perhaps you should write a rebuttal to James Hansen: "...extreme anomalies such as those in Texas and Oklahoma in 2011 and Moscow in 2010 were a consequence of global warming..." http://www.pnas.org/content/109/37/E2415

Oh wait a second, I never claimed my question was about climate did I? (or weather for that matter)? I'm asking about news reporting. I don't know how you guys got so smart when it appears you can't even read.

• Gary F
    Favorite Answer

NPR, the BBC, Washington Post, and New York Times have covered the story.

Russians, apparently, are handling the current situation the same as they always have.

"A Russian circus trainer fed a cocktail of warm water and vodka to two elephants stranded in the blistering Siberian cold on Thursday and credited it with saving their lives."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/world/europe/rus...

"Russians are being warned by physicians that alcohol offers no real relief from freezing temperatures."

http://www.livescience.com/25737-russia-cold-snap....

I tried the same remedy myself once in Polar Siberia using bootleg vodka (spiritus) . The rumor is that during a 'scholarly' discussion with a German about who actually won WW II, I may have punched a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. However, the memories of those involved are a little foggy, and I can neither confirm nor deny my participation in the alleged incident.

• Jesse

Yes, I heard about it. Someone posted it to MSNBCNewsvine and tried to use it as proof that global warming was not occurring. You have to be pretty desperate for proof if you seize upon every snowstorm and cold spell, as those are actually weather events and say very little about climate change. A recent paper by Hansen shows that while record high temperatures are 10 times more likely to occur than in 1980, there are still a significant probability that cold weather extremes will occur. An explanation of this and references substantiating it are given the reference below.

• hudes

the precedence is it disrupts the steadiness of mutually specific Destruction (M.A.D.). the only reason the chilly conflict did now no longer improve precise right into a real one exchange into simply by actuality the two aspects had nuclear warheads pointed at eachother. in actuality that they had sufficient nukes to blow themselves and something of the international into the stone age, or worse, wipe out each and every element on earth. If one element released then so would diverse & the international could be easily cremated. because of this opportunity, neither superpower went to conflict because of the fact it would advise their own certain destruction. of direction if one element valuable aspects an extra suitable hand and is able to wreck various the others nukes in the previous they hit their purpose it is going to have substantial implications for various element. it may wisely make the international a much much less danger-loose place & may even restart the chilly conflict & propel it into an entire blown one simply by actuality the M.A.D. theory now no longer applies. it extremely is actual in all probability to commence up a clean palms race!

It wasn't a slow enough news day to say that Russia is cold.

I thought you knew the difference between weather and climate.

• Pat

Why do you bother with such insignificant details when a source of plant energy (CO2) is now being demonized by "Climate Clowns" and is now considered a catastrophic "Greenhouse Gas"? We probably need to help these people understand before nobody believes them and they starve due to lack of common sense. The Russians will be fine for now. These other people need help before they go over the fictional cliff.

Find a dictionary.

Ask an adult to turn it right side up for you, and look up and read to you the definitions of the words

-Mean

-Variance