after appealing an ssd case denial?

What is the procedure? More paperwork? Dr. office visits??

Best Answer

Lawyer. You get one (they cost nothing, unless they win, and they only take out part of the back pay, so it doesn't hurt to pay them) and he/she tells you what's next. It's not a requirement, but we only get so many appeals and if we're going to be accepted that's the quickest way to that acceptance.

• Judith

If you are at the hearing level then you should get an attorney familiar with social security law (after you've filed the appeal). If approved their fee can be no more than 25% of past due benefits or $6000 - whichever is least. An attorney at the hearing level increases the odds of an approval. Don't bother with getting one until you've filed the request for a hearing - they just slow down the process and I don't think that they have much, if any, impact on the decision before then.

As far as doctor visits are concerned that's up to you. Just keep in mind that no doctor you see makes the disability decision and if they aren't going to uncover something new - what's the point? See one if you would normally do so but I see no reason to go to one just for the sake of going to one unless you have an attorney who sets you up with a specialist - and even then I know that some judges don't pay any attention to those reports because they think they are "slanted."

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.