Alex G
Lv 4
Alex G asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Turkish, Persian or Hebrew?

Which language would you rather know, and why?

I guess Hebrew is kind of redundant - I mean, don't most all Israelis also speak English?

Arabic is way too hard, and besides, it's not even one language - there are something like 7 different kinds of Arabic which are more like different languages - hard for them to understand each other...

And Arab culture is very harsh - much harsher than Turkish or Persian (or Israeli) cultures...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

i think you are a bit mistaken... arabic is an arabic, there are several dialects (so is english, when written most is same, but pronounciation differ wildly even within single county let alone country, but written arabic is same through whole panarabia, if you learn egyptian arabic (al misri), you will be fine through all arab world, egyptian arabic is regarded as "classic" and it is used daily by 50% of all arabs, there is no shortage of arabic speakers and culture is so vast and interesting - several lifetimes will be needed... i like actually arabic...

hebrew - well... not exactly redundant and not everyone speak english, actually more israelis speak russian, polish, jiddish or arabic than english... english is behind even arabic in israel...

turkish - i do not speak that one, but many turks speak german, english, italian, polish - as i speak all of these, do not have problems... did not ever have urge to learn it :-)

persian (farsi), it is related to pashtu and few others from the region, but arabic is widely spoken and it is language of liturgy as well. it uses anyway arabic alphabet.

hope this short preview will help you make a decision - my choice will be arabic...

Source(s): experience - speaking natively german, russian, polish, jiddish, speaking fluent with bit of accent latin, english, passable italian, arabic, hebrew, french, can read books and newspapers in few more... differentiate between japanese, cantonese, mandarin and korean...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Is your question,, Turkish, Persian, Hebrew or Arabic? You might as well put the latter two together, as they're from the same language family - Arabic would be far far more useful of course, and if you stick with the standard, you can read books, newspapers etc.

Of the 4, Persian, being Indo-European, familiar in grammatical structures to a certain extent - would probably be the most 'familiar' to an English-speaking learner.

Israeli culture is pretty harsh when they're killing children in Gaza, don;t you think?

• 7 years ago

i know both turkish and persian languages.

the persian language is a pure language with less loan words and with a nearer grammer type to other european languages. Besides persian sounds more harmonic and has an older literature.

Turkish is sooo hard to learn because of the many tenses it has and its very complicated grammer.

However turkish is alanguage made up of 50% loanwords from latin english arabic greek french and mostly persian again.

Arabic is very hard , i used to learn arabic as well but i quit the courses. i have no idea about hebrew

but it sounds innovative.

best wishes

Source(s): i know persian , turkish , french and english
  • 7 years ago

i would choose persian as it is indo-european language and easier to learn .

turkish sounds weird ! it's kinda like chines with OOO instead of CH , but i think it's a beautiful language.

arabic is very heavy language , hard to learn and pronunciation would hurt your throat ! but it's important language (thanks to terrorism i guess ! ) and worth learning .

Hebrew is just redundant!

turkish and persian both have arabic loan words like any european has borrowed many latin words , but pronunciation and usage is very different , so it really doesn't matter . arab person probably wouldn't recognize arbic words in casual conversation with them !

if you consider culture , turks have borrowed a lot from persians so they almost have a similar culture , and i have to say both are fascinating .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turko-Persian_traditi...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persianization

arabic culture is little harsh as you said and different from those two .

i would go for persian or arabic as they are very important right now , and you can find a job very easy knowing them .

Source(s): i'm a middle eastern journalism major , i speak little bit of each .
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Aliya
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Turkish - to read Orhan Pamuk in his native language

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Was looking for an answer on this too

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Can they really understand each other? I'm happy speaking my native Tongue.....Lol

• 7 years ago

go for persian

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.