Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

would this knife be ok to have on me?

Hello , i live in oregon and was thinking of buying a new knife to keep on me for protection. but i wanted to make sure i am not breaking any laws. here is what i have found regarding the knife laws.

Oregon Public Order Offense 166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

ok , when it says "concealed " what exactly do they mean? does that only mean if you hide it 100 percent? or not? because i have a small sheathe on my belt that i keep very noticeable and the entire knife is hidden inside it and a Velcro strap goes over the top. but , its obvious i have a knife in this sheathe....so as long as i do that , does it not count as a concealed weapon? and i will not have to worry about what i carry ( with in reason ) .

LASTLY what would i have to worry about if i got this knife?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whetstone-TAC-Force-Spee...

Update:

EDIT i also live in salem . just in case the law matters by what city i am in. i doubt that , but some one told me it in one of the answers

Update 2:

The first knife i do not think will be ok , so how about this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tom-Anderson-Diablo-II-8...

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As the law states it's a knife that springs into action and as such you'd commit a Class B misdemeanor if you are caught with one. In a situation where you use it for self-defense, what's going to happen is a lot. First they're going to take into account of witness statements and on top of that determine if you were the aggressor. How many times you were able to stab the person is also going to be taken into account. Depending on the circumstances, you might be charged with murder of second degree or attempted second degree murder or felony assault. All of which are not good. In your home, they probably won't do much but again it entirely depends on the situation.

"Conceal" means any point and time you have the weapon that is not in plain view and hidden.

• 8 years ago

each city has their own rules, call your pd, being arrested for this, would not be good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.