How old to you have to be to get emancipated in the state of Arkansas?

I am tired of my dad and step mom fighting all the time and my real mom is in drugs my dad doesn't care about me and neither does my mom so I wanted to know how old you have to be to be emancipated and live by yourself

Favorite Answer

To get emancipated, you will need to prove:

1. You are mature enough to manage your own affairs. This is demonstrated by things like a clean criminal record, good grades etc.

2. You can support yourself financially. You will need to show income and anticipated expenses.It is HIGHLY unlikely you have the income to rent an apartment, pay all utilities and put food on your table. You can NOT draw any public assistance if emancipated.

3. That your welfare is better served by not being with your parents. Hating mom's rules will not meet this criteria. Emancipation is not used to resolve issues with abuse. That is the function of the foster care system. If you apply for emancipation and prove abuse, the judge will place you with family if possible. If that is not possible you would become a ward of the state and enter the foster care system.

4. That there are no other reasonable solutions to the issues at home.

In the states that actually allow emancipation you will need to be at least 16.

You will need to hire a lawyer to get you though the process.

You would need to file in a court that has jurisdiction over your parents or custodial parent if you do not live with both.

Only about 1 percent of emancipation petitions nationwide are granted.

What david said about financial independence is spot on. Emancipation means you are financially cut off from your parents, and you are ineligible for Government financial assistance. So unless you have significant income to pay for rent, groceries, utilities, transportation costs, insurance, etc. you have no chance of getting emancipated, regardless of your home situation. Emancipation has nothing to do with how bad you have it at home, its not even an issue at an emancipation hearing, all that matters is your financial plan.

In addition, Arkansas requires you to be 17 to even apply.

• debbra

No you are not emancipated. You do get the choice of what occurs to the baby. Your parents can not make a decision that. Also relying on how historical the daddy is your dad and mom can get in legal situation and so can the boyfriend. I suppose if he's greater than two year older than you due to the fact you are 14.