If a short call position gets exercised before ex-dividend day would I be responsible for the dividend?

I own a long March call at the 140 strike and a short January call at the 147 strike. The ETF is trading at 145 and the ex-dividend date is 12/21. Since the dividend is just under $1.00 I realize that someone could exercise the 147 call if the price approached that level, but would I have to pay the dividend? I... show more I own a long March call at the 140 strike and a short January call at the 147 strike. The ETF is trading at 145 and the ex-dividend date is 12/21. Since the dividend is just under $1.00 I realize that someone could exercise the 147 call if the price approached that level, but would I have to pay the dividend? I didn't think that I would have to but an email that I received from my broker implied that if I got called away that I would be responsible for the whole dividend. I thought that this was only when you shorted a stock. I realize that the email is a generic one, but is my broker wrong here?