What is the probability of women being able to join combat units soon?

I am graduating in 2014, and I'm interested in joining the marine corps. I realize there are a ton of job available to women, but I want to be in combat. Specifically, Scout Sniper. What are the chances that I could get in?

*I have a general idea as to why women aren't allowed in now, but if you have insights, please feel free to share.

Best Answer

Not good. They aren't going to mess around with those rules for another 10 years.

The reason is because you would fail out of the school, like the women they just sent to IOC.

Source(s): Active-duty Navy

Read this: http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/article/get-ove... written by a combat engineer Captain in the Corps.

Actually, there's not a complete ban on them in combat units, they are integrating women into serving with them, but it's just that they cannot serve in infantry, armor, etc. Scout Sniper isn't an entry MOS anyhow, so even if they allow women in infantry soon (which won't happen for a while) it's doubtful that Scout Sniper would become available.

I'd rather not share personal opinions on this on here, so feel free to email me if you want to hear them.

0%

They aren't allowed in for 3 reasons

1: congress says so

2: every attempt to see if women could pass male oy courses has resulted in 100% failure

3: women are much more prone to injury under combat conditions. The UK did a study, female candidates as 600x as many hip fractures as their male counterparts

Both female candidates for Marine officer Infantry school dropped out at the same time. So I'm guessing not anytime soon.

not for a while