Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 7 years ago

How to make kids wait until Christmas to open the gifts?

Ok, so our tradition is that on Christmas Eve, you must wait til 12 to open gifts. All gifts. Then on Christmas, we have a family dinner and play around.

What can we do to not think about gifts? Me and my siblings get too excited for gifts. What to do to pre-occupy ourselves? My mom closes that day so she'll come home at 9. Help!

Ella, I know there's more to Christmas than gifts. That's why I'm volunteering at a shelter this week and next. I also found some animals, homes.

My parents don't let me out of the house :/ besides, my friends have things to do that day or they're out of the country. I like the cookies idea...

• Sozy
    Favorite Answer

Don't put an alarm, that will just make you more curious. Try reading a book or watch a film or something, play games with your siblings. Just something that will not make you notice the time much.

We always sang every christmas song we knew, and read christmas books.

Our favorites were

Jacob's Gift by Max Lucado

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski

How the Grinch stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

and

The Crippled Lamb, by Max Lucado.

My family acted out a nativity scene every year as well.

We also would try to impress each other with weird trivia about Christmas- like that Christmas was banned in England in the 1640s. we got at most 30 minutes on the internet before hand.

at the end everyone had to vote on the strangest fact presented and the winner got to wear a crown and got to pick the first carols sung AND got to open the first gift.

We'd play board and card games- the cousins would play BS or Crazy 8s, and then we'd move on to Scatagories and Apples to apples.

we'd usually watch a christmas movie or two- our favorite has been "the 12 dogs of Christmas" for ages, but we like Santa Claus and Olive the Other Reindeer and the traditional shorts as well.

we also had cooking experiments! we'd melt chocolate and marshmallows with candy cane bits and grahmcrackers or shortbread cookies

Play Charades or cards. Watch a movie. Cook or bake something. Make a snack tray of crackers, veggies like carrots & bell peppers & hummus dip & cheese. Treat yourself as well as you would your guests...make the food pretty. Or it could be something like burritos or maybe popcorn. String some of the popcorn for the tree & some to hang outside for the birds the next day. Make something special for your mom to eat for when she gets home. Be set to settle down with hot cocoa & talk to her awhile to kill some time. Volunteer to do things to help prepare for Christmas dinner in advance. Write little verses to go on your packages that are funny & that give hints about what's inside. Wait until around 11:30 to put them on the packages & don't let anyone peek at them before it's time.

Set every alarm clock in the house for midnight, then feel free to doze off! When it's time, take turns wearing a Santa hat & passing out the gifts that you bought the others.

• Jedi

go for a late night stroll. Make a bunch of cookies that day, put them in nice clean tins. Put a bow on them. Walk around to neighbors homes and quietly leave them on their front door steps. Watch a christmas story on TBS. Look at old family photos and share what you remember about that moment.

World of War Craft

Get out of the house and hang out with some friends or go grab food somewhere. Get out of the HOUSE

Realise there is more to Christmas than just presents and you should consider yourself lucky you have any, because there are many out there that don't have anything.

Let your kids to open gifts, anyway. We can get gifts anytime around the year....

Source(s): My mind.

Play board games, watch tv, talk