Shipping an AR15 Upper Receiver to New York City?

I am planning on building a 6.5 Grendel AR-15. Thing is, I'm in AIT with the Army at Fort Lee, so I can't have any weapons (or part of weapons) on post, since I'm not Permanent Party (I'm still considered IET). I'd have to have the parts shipped up to my current address (which is in The Bronx,... show more I am planning on building a 6.5 Grendel AR-15. Thing is, I'm in AIT with the Army at Fort Lee, so I can't have any weapons (or part of weapons) on post, since I'm not Permanent Party (I'm still considered IET). I'd have to have the parts shipped up to my current address (which is in The Bronx, I'm in the middle of changing my state of residence to Florida). I am wondering if it is legal to have just the UPPER shipped to my home address in New York City, I know the Lower receiver needs to go through a FFL.
I've seen online elsewhere it is legal to ship any part of the weapon (besides the lower) legally, but I want to make sure it is that way for certain for New York City, I don't need to get hemmed up by the NYPD because I am trying to build a AR15, or is it better just to wait until I can get my state of residence changed to Florida?
1 answer 1