help with helen keller quote? 10pts!?

does anyone know where Helen Keller says this:

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness....But then a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped into the rapture of the living.

please help!

• Vamp
    Favorite Answer

The full quotation is:

"Once I knew the depth where no hope was, and darkness lay on the face of all things. Then love came and set my soul free. Once I knew only darkness and stillness. Now I know hope and joy. Once I fretted and beat myself against the wall that shut me in. Now I rejoice in the consciousness that I can think, act and attain heaven. My life was without past or future; death, the pessimist would say, "a consummation devoutly to be wished." But a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living. Night fled before the day of thought, and love and joy and hope came up in a passion of obedience to knowledge. Can anyone who escaped such captivity, who has felt the thrill and glory of freedom, be a pessimist?"

Optimism (1903)

• MYOB

Before Helen caught meningitis she was a clever baby. At 6 months' she said waah for water. It all changed shortly after and meningitis was to leave her blind and deaf. Her family pampered her but her teacher did not. Only 20 she took Helen under her wing. She kept Helen separate from the family in a small outhouse and tried to teach her finger writing. When the allotted time was up the family took Helen back. She played up at the dinner table and the family indulged her. Her teacher did not and took her to the water pump to fetch water to clean the mess. Putting Helens' hand on the pump she put the other where the water was to come out. When it did the teacher spelt water. Helen caught on quick as she realised the things' being spelt meant something. She was a voracious learner and the two stayed good friends' until the teacher died.

Source(s): The film of Helen Kellers' early life story.
  • Cheryl

Whar was the quote about teacher using her fingers to set her spirit free.