Senior Citizens. Do you know the seven deadly sins of narcissism?

Do you know someone that exibits these traits or signs? Can they be considered dangerous to be around? Would you even want to take the chance? I'll list them for you. Yes or no answers are OK. No need to elaborate.

1.Shamelessness: Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.

2.Magical thinking: Narcissists see themselves as perfect, using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.

3.Arrogance: A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.

4.Envy: A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.

5.Entitlement: Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Failure to comply is considered an attack on their superiority, and the perpetrator is considered an "awkward" or "difficult" person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.

6.Exploitation: Can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.

7.Bad boundaries: Narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist are treated as if they are part of the narcissist and are expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist there is no boundary between self and other.

Forgot to list sources to part about seven deadly sins of narcissism. I googled it, and chose Wikipedia.

So sorry spanky, I could have listed you as an example but It's against the "Guidelines" to single out specific people.

The author of the article, Thomas Hotchkiss, also said that narcissists typically display most, and sometimes all of the above traits. There's much good information to be had by googling this subject if interested.

Favorite Answer

Every once in a while this SC site offers up a profound observation that teaches me something.

This listing of yours fits that category.

Perhaps one or two traits can be identified with some people, but what you're teaching me is if

you spot all 7 traits in one person, then avoid a friendship based on trust!

Thank you for this.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

1.Shamelessness: Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy...

Source(s): senior citizens deadly sins narcissism: https://tr.im/qwrv4

I've heard of the seven deadly sins, but the sins that were listed included narcissism as one of the sins. I've never heard of any seven deadly sins of narcissism by itself.

• DeeJay

I know someone who fits all of the above to the tee. There is no treatment - there is no medication to help narcissism. They were born without a conscience.

He is now serving time in prison and is where he should have been years ago.

I went to school with his mother - he has absolutely - financially ruined her and everyone in his family - it makes me sick to think - how one man can devastate - everything he touched - his own family and justify all he did.

If you or anyone knows a person of the above description - start running - as fast as you can to get away.

DeeJay.

Source(s): Working for the State - in the field - of Domestic Violence - mental - physical - sexual abuse.
  • Mary

I'm grateful to say I don't know anybody like this. Just a couple of these traits would make me run in the other direction.

• -

Yes I know a young woman very well (a relative of a friend) who has all of those traits, she's brought 2 children into the world and expects others to raise & financially support them, one of the fathers died before the first was born, the second father is in prison. She has never supported herself, and is extremely jealous of her brother who is working and about to graduate college. She told me flat out when she was a teen that she used people to get whatever she could from them, saying she didn't like one of the girls she was hanging out with...I asked her what she used her for & she said they wore the same size clothes & when the girl would spend the night she would forget some of her clothes & keep them for herself. That was the moment I decided to set a strong boundary and not allow her in my home or around my daughter. The drama never ends with her.

Sounds to me like the CEO of the banks we have all bailed out or even those in our own government.

Their own self interests come first.

• No, I didn't know that, but after reading this question I think there are a few on here.

• Now, that DOES look familiar, and helps me to understand that, as a narcissist - magnet, my personal relationships have been so very frustrating ...

Interesting...

Narcissus would be so proud of himself, but he must try harder to stay on top, his kingship is challenged!