Deanna - asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Cat nutrition and food source?

Okay, I'll start off by saying I am a firm believer in raw diet for cats. It's species appropriate and the healthiest option.

As it is, my finance and I both work full time and go to school part time. Sometimes we are out studying late, sometimes stuff happens, etc. and we need a food we can leave out for the day (aka dry).

We have four cats, all adults but not seniors. They eat a varied diet of raw, canned, and "fresh pet select" brand of cooked food.

But as I said, some days we leave at 8 in the morning and don't return until 10 at night. Which has led to us getting dry food to leave out in small quantities for the cats to snack on if its going to be a late night.

Right now we switch back and for between Core wellness and Blue Wilderness as both contain no wheat, soy, preservatives, animal-by-products, and are gluten free. Also no corn!!

But I'm not entirely happy with these products. I've noticed blue wilderness causes the cat poo to smell just god awful and core-wellness has me worried about the potatoes found within the food.

Long story short, I've been told that "orijen" and "evo" brand dry foods are better than both blue wilderness and core wellness.

While I'm aware of ziwipeak cat food, it's out of my price range for four cats. Also I don't like wysong's ingredients.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

I have every weekend off. While the weekdays they are alone a lot, they have eachother to play with. They have four cat towers, baskets of toys, tunnels, fifty-thousand balls and toy mice. Their mental health is just fine, thank you.

The vet we use (due to the lacking oh holistic type vets in my area) promote solely Hills Science Diet, which is a known poor-quality brand both with their dry and their wet food.

I'm just looking to see what works for others.

• Ken S
    Favorite Answer

I work with many diabetic cat owners from all over the world. The prevalent reason the cats got diabetes is dry food

To answer your question, canned food can be left out all day. Even when it gets hard it isn't spoiled

Wellness sells 12 OZ Cans for multiple cat households.

You're right to be concerned about the potatoes. If you're not sure why, ask any diabetic. Free-feeding isn't necessary as some think once you get out of the kitten months and can make your cat fat. Also, carbs aren't the best thing in the world for leveling out energy levels... they cause a lot of spikes and lows. There is nothing wrong with feeding wet food twice a day if there's no health reasons that say otherwise.

• Mircat

Blue Buffalo is supposed to be good. Other than that you are just going to have to spend a couple hours browsing the pet supply store and reading the ingredients on the labels. Either that or call your vet. While they sell foods they could also suggest perhaps things you can buy.

I'm not in the raw food diet brigade but am all for free feed with a good kibble.

I've fed my cats Fancy Feast for years and they are healthy as can be. I like that they have so many flavors since they get a bit picky at times and I can get them interested in food again with a different flavor. The last 2 I adopted I was told they would only eat Science Diet, well they turned their noses up at it and refused to eat it, I put Fancy Feast out for them and they march right up and eat it.

Orijen is a great food. Probably the best kibble you can buy.

Evo was bought out by p@g but its your call whether or not you want to feed it.

I am all for raw diets, but I would be a little more concerned about your cats mental health, being alone for so long....