what is the purpose of SSD?

I've seen many PC building videos on youtube and almost all of them install something looks similar to an HDD, but they refer to it "SSD", what is it for and is it really necessary?

Update:

EDIT: thanks everyone for the answers, I'm looking to build a gaming PC, should I buy an SSD?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

An SSD has much faster access rates and transfer rates than a traditional HDD, but looking at cost its much more per GB. they also use less power, and generates much less heat. Therefore, an SSD is ideal for either computer enthusiasts that want the fastest, most responsive computer possible, or in a setting where one wants as little noise, heat and power consumption as possible (upscale laptops, for instance).

I have one in my Gaming desktop there not necessary to the average computer user .if you just surf the net email and dont do a lot else they are of no benefit .

the bigger and better the system and the more you do like i am into gaming ,it means i can keep my OS on one games on my Hard drive but unless you really need one ,there not necessary .

• Andy T
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Hard drive using a solid-state technology.

I would not and actively stay away from it my opinion is that it is for industrial purpose quite narrow and unrelated to a PC. More to the point SSD (Drive) has an SSD (Death) problem known as Write Cycle.

• 7 years ago

What the first answer say is true , also can be use to be the primary hard drive for fast boot into windows and access microsoft and third party programs faster , they have no moving parts all solid state, rarely break down as with the old hard drive with the spindle and platter which are being phase out within the next 5 years est.

• 7 years ago

SSD's transfer data in high speeds than HDD,ssd refers Solid State Drive.Mostly they are used to have quick boot up than normal hdd.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

SSD means..Solid State Drive..

Its Flash Memory...like a iPOD../

It has NO Moving Parts..so no heat../

I own 2-SSD devices...they do improve video playback--

The PC computer recognizes the device very quickly..

...I might guess it would use electricity much better..

Hence---the future of computers is less power requirements--less bulk.../

• Tenax
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

The main purpose of SSD is to reduce time needed for disc access, as they are a lot faster than HDDs.

They usually are smaller in size though, and more expensive (price per GB) than HDD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.