Handgun laws in Ohio?

I'm 18 and moving out soon. I've been around guns and 4-h my whole life and plan on getting certified. I don't want to conceal and carry it but to simply have it in case of something like a home invasion. I don't have any felonies or "serious Misdemeanors" I also have paperwork stating I don't have any mental illnesses, (only pertinent becasue they thought I did when I was having home troubles, but that was cleared up five years ago,) So my question is what are the laws on just owning one to keep at home? How can I legally go about obtaining one? Do I have to buy it from a store or can I buy one from a friend? Also, since it is a handgun do I have to register it? When I try to find the laws on Handguns all I get is the Concealed Carry laws.

Favorite Answer

Ohio state law reads:

No state permit or license is required to purchase a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

It is unlawful to sell a handgun to a person under 21, or any firearm to a person under 18. It is unlawful to furnish any firearm to a person who is under 18 or furnish any handgun to a person under 21, except for lawful hunting, sporting or educational purposes.

You must be 21 to possess a handgun, 18 for a rifle or shotgun (federal law). RZ has given a non sequitor, about the law enforcement personnel being exempt for the age requirement, as there are no 18-year old police officers.

Source(s): Former deputy sheriff/corporal

In Ohio, you cannot buy, or have a hang gun be given to you, except temporarily for hunting, sporting, or education, but you cannot own it. However, if you are a law enforcement officer, the prohibition doesn't apply.