Blues: What is your opinion of Ike Turner?

I know he has backed Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, and others

@Everyone Muddy Waters used to beat the **** out of his girlfriends, wives, ect... But that never changed my opinion on how he was one of the best and a very kind person

• Martin
    Favorite Answer

Better than Tina's I imagine ;)

Seriously, he played a pivotal role in the development of rock & roll. Rocket 88 was really Ike's record, not Jackie Brenston's, and that's only scratching the surface. He was also a scout for Sam Phillips at Sun/Memphis Recording Service.

Edit:

@ Wire, I might not go quite that far, but I hear you. For one, Ike admitted to being physically abusive, but not to the degree Tina claimed. Her version only carries more "weight" because of her book and the film, and the interest in both that her massive popularity at the time created. I certainly don't condone abuse, nor do I think the other posters do-I recently ended a friendship of almost 30 years for that reason, and he was "only" verbally abusive to his wife and kids.

What's the line? Jerry Lee Lewis is a pedophile, a racist, and he quite possibly murdered one wife. Chuck Berry had/has thing for young girls too. Nugent is a flag waving, gun totin', survivalist, right wing nut job... I won't even go into the rap/hip hop artists that some have no problem praising for their music while conveniently overlooking their thug lifestyle.

That's actually a really interesting question

I think he was essential in developing some aspects of Rock n roll through his record 'Rocket 88'

i think he has influenced the sound of the guitar in many ways and some great player took a lot from his style.

However as a human being I detest the man

Any man who beats a woman the way he did is just inexcusable

Regardless of the substance abuse there is no excuse for his actions against Tina

I just can't stand any man who takes their anger out on a woman,its just the lowest form of scum in my opinion

Source(s): @Hope I agree I like to think 'Whats love got to do with it' is about Ike I know the lyrics don't exactly fit the circumstances but it just really reminds me of like the severance between the 2 @Wire U actually do make a very valid point But at the same time no woman should be treated that way Celebrity or not
  • Influential, but the first word that comes to my mind is "assh0le".

I don't blame Tina for re-recording "Proud Mary" without Ike, though the first version was waaaay better.

Not sure but I wanna think Tina's "When The Heartache Is Over" is about the "assh0le".

That man doesn't even understand what a rockin woman he mistreated. I love Tina lol

Source(s): @Wire--I suppose my answer did come across that way. However, I can assure you had Ike mistreated any woman that way--be it a high profile celebrity or an "unknown" woman, my opinion of him would not be any different. I've some strong thoughts about abusive relationships, and watched my mother suffer to this day from the emotional scars alone of her first marriage. I didn't intend to take away from the fact Ike is an extremely talented individual. I take George Harrison as an example--womanizer, but the man's my favorite Beatle. Can't deny his talent.

Wife Beatig punk

Wife beater

the fact of the matter is none of you would give a flying f*ck that he was a wife beater if his wife wasn't tina turner. we have this tendency to accept all manner of @sshole behavior from celebrities, but god forbid he should do it to another celebrity, especially one more famous then him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnNHnN66i_Q

Youtube thumbnail

as a guitar talent he was great,but treated tina really really bad