Can I put Windows 7 OS on a SSD without having to reformat?

I just purchased a SSD to put my Windows 7 OS on. I want to know if it's possible to move the current OS to the SSD without having to completely reformat my computer?

• Bomber
    Favorite Answer

it is possible to move your original O/S on your old hard drive to the SSD by cloning the original drive but the downside is when you do windows will ask to be reactivated because it's on a different hard drive to what it was installed on

You can clone the drive from the original but it will put ALL the contents onto it. OS, programs and files. This does mean everything will run as before. If you only want the OS, no. you need to do a clean install to that drive, and then you would need to remove the operating system from the other drive to prevent conflict. A clean install will also require you to re-install ALL your programs.

No. the in common words thanks to dodge formatting once you visit a diverse OS is to do an "improve". it really is in common words conceivable if there are elementary information between the both OS's so as that in common words most of the abode windows structures information could get replaced to change the OS. regrettably, because one OS has instructions written with 32 bits and the different sixty 4 bits, there are not any information in elementary. So an improve isn't conceivable. The disk must be formatted and a clean set up of abode windows sixty 4 bit put in.

Make an image of your existing installation and move it to the new drive

• Jordan

You should be able to make an image of your current drive, and put it onto your new drive, without any formatting involved.

Source(s): IT person
  • D McC

you can use cloning programs such as norton ghost to clone your system and install it exactly the same on the new drive