Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 8 years ago

Why did frank gore's touchdown not count as any fantasy points against the patriots?

In the third quarter there was a fumbled snap which gore ran in for a TD. It didn't count, so i lost my playoffs by a point

I have the standard point system. In the scoring setting it says 6 points under miscellaneous for fumble recovery for TD

Favorite Answer

As others have stated, this play was officially ruled as a fumble recovery for a touchdown. After having checked into the standard ESPN and CBS fantasy league rules, they do not specifically allow for an offensive player to receive points for something other than a rushing, receiving, or passing TD. Unless this scoring possibility was set ahead of time in your individual league, Frank Gore will not get credit for the 6 points.

This does not mean that your commissioner cannot make a ruling otherwise, but to be consistent and fair, he must look at what was officially scored in your league on a similar play as a precedent. He doesn't have to go back any further than last week, when Brandon Lloyd fell on a teammates' fumble in the end zone. Again, in both ESPN and CBS standard fantasy scoring, Lloyd was not credited with fantasy points for the TD.

So, it comes down to a matter of fairness and consistency. Frank Gore clearly scored 6 points, but if the Brandon Lloyd owner in your league was not awarded 6 points for his similar play last week, then it should be ruled the same way here.

Source(s): ESPN Fantasy Football CBS Fantasy Commissioner

Not all fumble returns are defensive or special teams tds... but this one was.

Al Michaels explained the play after it happened and explained why Gore would NOT get credit for that TD and it is backed by a little known NFL Rule.

If a player fumbles a ball and then recovers it to score, on a pass or on a run, then they will still get points for a scored td as long as at some point they had possession of the ball making it a rush or a pass/reception.

On this particular play there was no possession established of the ball. The ball was not handed off so it could not be a run (the NFL did not award Gore the TD or the yards) and the ball was not thrown so it could not be a pass play. Because no one ever established possession of the ball, not even the SF QB, the ball hit the ground and at that point every single player on the field becomes a defender (sort of like when a punt is blocked or when a pass is tipped... when a pass is tipped at the line of scrimmage all bets are off and there is no such thing as pass interference because the ball was tipped and is in play for everyone now).

If the QB had possession first then Gore would have received credit for a TD. If Gore had possession first then he would have received credit for a TD. Because no one had possession, everyone becomes a defender and any yards or scores accumulated on that kind of play go down as return yards.

Gore should NOT receive any points for the score unless your league has rules in place that conflict with the NFL rules. Again, Al Michaels called it right last night and it is no shock that every stat reporting agency agrees today. It does not happen often but it is the case.

I have been baffled by this since he scored. This isn't just a fantasy question; he didn't get credit for the TD at all. His game stats on ESPN, NFL, and Yahoo Sports all say 26 carries for 83 yards, 2 catches for 34 yards, and zero touchdowns. Pertaining to fantasy, this is the definition of an offensive fumble recovery for TD:

"An offensive fumble return touchdown is scored any time an offensive player recovers a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown, or advances a recovered fumble for a touchdown, and is not the player who originally fumbled the ball.

If the player who originally fumbled the ball recovers their own fumble and scores a touchdown, they will be credited with either a rushing or receiving touchdown, depending on the play.

Examples:

•If Matt Ryan runs to the opponent's 5-yard line and then fumbles, and Tony Gonzalez recovers the fumble and advances it 5 yards to score a touchdown, Gonzalez would be credited with an offensive fumble return touchdown.

•If Matt Ryan runs to the opponent's 5-yard line, fumbles, then recovers his own fumble and advances it for a touchdown, Ryan would be credited with a rushing touchdown."

According to this, you should get the points. However, if this was declared a bad snap, everyone becomes a defender and it wouldn't technically be an "offensive touchdown". I think Kapernick touched the ball prior to fumbling it though, and that would be an offensive fumble. Regardless, I'm still confused as to why Gore didn't get credit for a TD. Your commish should give you the points.

This riddle has no sure fire answer. Sure, you could play Gore, but that doesn't mean that he will have a great game. Right now, his stats for fantasy are a crap shoot. I wouldn't call him "reliable". His injuries are another reason you can't trust him. Although he may not be completely reliable, his schedule does favor him. The Niners schedule for the upcoming weeks is as follows:@ Car, Min, Cin, and TB. He plays 3 or the 4 at home, so I guess you could say that's an advantage. He should (key word "should") run all over a couple of those Defenses. But hey, Minnesota absolutely KICKED the Giants this past Sunday, so nothing is for sure. As for his QB helping him out, the obvious choice would be my grandma, seeing as she is better and less injury prone as either of the other 2 QB's listed, but I guess I have to pick one of the Niners. I don't know really though, talk about another crap shoot......I would just go ahead an do enee-menee-minee-mo with those 2. So I suppose there is no one single correct answer to the Frank Gore riddle this season. Hopefully next season will draw better results from this RB. Good luck!

I didn't see the play, but did gore recover the ball in the end zone? Of he did, he should have the td. This sounds like something similar to what happened to Lloyd last week. I got 20 pts from Lloyd last week (with his fumble recovery for a td), so check out what Lloyd got. If e got 20, gore should have more pts. If he got 14, gore is right where he should be.

UPDATE: As I stated below, I knew it would be corrected by the morning. It has been fixed and Gore has been credited the 6 points in my ESPN league. Since you stated in your additional details that you have that scoring setting as well, I am sure you were credited the points by now. Did you win!??!?

I play on ESPN, and have my settings the same. I have not gotten credit for it yet. Sometimes this happens on their site, but usually they have it fixed by the next morning. I would check back tomorrow, maybe everything will be sorted by then. It's kind of like Bryce Brown's fumble (or lack of) on Thurs. I kept getting points added and taken away (since I started him unfortunately) while they were going back and forth if it was a fumble or not. It took almost a day for it to finally get sorted.

Thats really weird... in my nfl league it counted for 6 points as a: Fumble recovery td

maybe ur league manager rigged the scoring?

The reason why it proli did t count was kuz when the league manager does settings, it says u can get a receiving td,rushing td, or passing td, and it was neither of those, it was a recovered fumble td. My cousin lost kuz of it but it is wat it is. That's how rules r. It happened to Pierre garçon earlier this season. So dnt call it rigged or bs, I'm sure u didnt read ur league settings correctly. It wasnt a rushin,receiving, or passin td. Therefore no points.. Better luck next year

Cbs Fantasy Football Scoring

It's because it was an Offensive Fumble Recovery Touchdown. Unless your league gives points for this...you're out of luck. It wasn't a rushing, receiving or passing touchdown.