Sword Art Online, your thoughts on this anime?

What are your thoughts on the Sword Art Online anime? I've noticed the anime has gotten a lot of likes and hates. :'I

Do you like/love it?

If so, please explain why.

Do you dislike it?

If so, please explain why.

I personally really enjoy it, so I want to hear other people's opinions. ;)

Best Answer

I have been thinking about this a lot. I'm kinda on the fence about it. I honestly think they should have ended it at the 14th episode and that the second part of the series is not as good as the first half. The drama isn't there. When they were playing and their death in the game meant real death, it was much more dramatic and added a lot of tension. Although, I think watching the first 14 episode again with certainty that those characters are dieing makes the series better. The first time you watch it, you are confused on whether the characters are dieing or not. However, when Kirito's sister is yelling at him because she didn't know it was him in the game was a great moment in episode 23. I still don't get why they can't take off Asuna's helmet now that she isn't playing SAO. That whole death thing only applied to SAO, and not what's-its-name game. As far as fights go, yet they could be better, but compared to a lot of anime with "fighting" there fights are top notch. Another thing is that I wouldn't change the way that their romance plays out. For one thing its not a shojo, so having that "Do like her or her or her" thing isn't necessary. Additionally, having more of that romance developments would take away from the original plot, which is their fight for survival and trying to free themselves. The romance in the anime seems to serve more of a purpose of adding a theme to the story; something along the lines of the things you do in the virtual world has an effect on the real world. As for what the anime is trying to be, much like Escaflowne, a shojo shonen hybrid, I think it pulled it off. I like that it has enough romance plot to have a full story there and it also has enough action plot for it to be full there. If nothing else, it has some of the best animation that I have seen in a 26 episodes TV series ever. It would even be movie quality. If anything, I think that it is under rated. from reviews I have read about it is usually given a 5 to 6 range score. They usually are comparing it to the light novels and are disappointed that the anime didn't turn out how they thought it would. I understand those feeling, all too well... *cough* Twilight... *cough* DBZ live action movies *cough*, but after all this time I have never seen any adaptation of any series into any anime that was better than the original. Look its not a 10 by any means, its not a 5/10 either. Based on the plot, I would give it a 7, but since the animation is so good it deserves at least an 8/10. That's just my opinion.

• 6 years agoReport

I am so disappointing by the lack of the central elements in the series. If they would have made more episodes and longer story of SAO with a wither perspective and more aspects of the MMORPG, it would have been phenomenal.

3/10. It's bad. Like Transformers and Twilight combined.

Characters are cliché anime archetypes with almost no development. Characterization is also really bad.

Plot is all over the place with no structure. Time skip is unbearable. The episodes changed from action to detective to poorly written romance.

Adding further to the cast of characters only makes it harder for pacing and development but the writers didn't even try to justify it. They just add them and forget about them.

They re-use some animation from other animes.

Music is typical Yuki Kajiura (Ccomposer).

Throw in some chorus, violins, a cello, maybe some piano. Same old same old.

The production team used less budget for their previous anime and it's writing was way better and they used more budget for SAO. The writers made this show to appeal to anime fans but they probably really know it's sh*t. This show is the prime example of "edgy".

*****************SPOILERS*****************

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE SERIES!

*****************************************************************************************

Personally, I LOVE this series. It is one of my favorites at the moment.

Although the main idea of the plot was not that unique (with the all killing/fighting to survive thing), I love how they included romance into the series. There wasn't so much romance that it made the anime less exciting, because there was a lot of action-which is something I really like. Though I did notice the slight change in Asuna after they got married. I didn't really like the fact that she turned softer; but I guess its just my opinion. I liked the Asuna that acted a bit more fierce; the one that fought together with Kirito before they got married. After they moved in together, she turned into such a nice, soft person-especially when Yui appeared (she totally turned into a mom). But the change in Asuna didn't stop me from watching nor did it decrease my love for SAO. When Kirito beat the creator of SAO, I was really surprised and excited for what would happen next when the world ended. That episode showing Kirito crying and apologizing for not being able to save Asuna was one of the best. But the episode after that, confused me. How is Kirito alive? I thought he died because when he killed the creator, he died himself too, didn't he? Then, Alfheim comes along. The idea of another game was...alright, I guess. But the whole fairy theme? Meh. It reminded me way too much of Ao No Exorcist because of his new outfit and the pointy ears. I haven't had the time to watch episode 24, but the concept of Alfheim is not as good as SAO. I'm still in love with the series, and this answer might make me seem like I have a lot of complaints; but I really love Sword Art Online. It's one of the best animes I've ever watched.

I love Sword Art Online. Personally I found it to be inspiring, exciting, addicting, and utterly amazing.

This anime has it all: Action, adventure, magic (later in the series), romance, some comedy. It's a great story about love and trust and great morals. The battle scenes are blood pumping and get you clinging to the edge of your seat.

I love this anime because of all those reasons. I love the romance and the devotion that Kirito and Asuna have to each other. They really love each other and would do anything for each other.

I love how Kirito challenges the impossible and takes everything to new heights. When I watch this anime I can completely lose myself in it and I'm disappointed when the episode is over.

The anime has some very interesting ideas, but fails to properly make use of them. Having read the novels and watched the anime, I can confidently say that it is very poorly written. The author was so focused on making Kirito out to be the most amazing character ever, who owns every fight and gets all the girls, that it all falls apart. Not only does he waste those great ideas by basically ignoring them, but he also fails to create a believable character. While the visuals and the action and comedy of the anime stand, the overall plot and romance fail miserably. SAO is a failure due to the incompetence of the author.

I judge an anime based on some aspects: story, artwork/animation, characters, and sound.

Story 4:10

Sword Art Online started really well. A good story always retains its original elements seen in the beginning. Here I was expecting a survial story like Gantz but in a fantasy setting. Instead, SAO left from its original roots and focused on side stories and characters that do not have any relevance to the overall plot. It got worse as the anime continued to in the second part. What turned into a story about survival ended up turning into a convoluted mess in an attempt to try to justfiy what is going on. The story uses lots of plot devices and haxes that are in favor of our protagonists. Not to mention, that as the story progressed, it resorted towards harem anime cliches, unecessary fanservice, incest, and tentacle rape.

Artwork/Animation 8:10

The background settings in SAO are good looking. Although they do show some typical fantasy setting in regards to the towns, some of the environments themselves were interesting, especially with the world tree in the second part. However character designs are typical but they at least look okay to good looking. The only problem is that judging by what they character looks like, you can instantly know what kind of person that character will be. Not to mention there are some disruptions and recycled cells in the animation. Other than that, SAO's artwork/animation is decent.

Characters 2:10

Characters in an anime can make or break an anime. In this case, it broke, bad. The characters in SAO were by far the worst part of this show. The only reason I do not give it a 1 out of 10 is becuase they decided not to do a wimpy protagonist for once. Our main hero, Kirito, is the next Kira Yamato (Gundam Seed). He's a gary stu. In the anime Kirito is perfect, he wins effortlessly, he is a walking deus ex machina, all of his fights are anti climatic becuase he is so overpowered, and everything he does is right and everything that everyone else does is wrong. Not to mention that most of his interactions are with female characters that only add to his growing harem. In reality, he is just a self insert character for otaku to live out their fantasies. Asuna is just as bad, if not worse. She is mainly in show to appeal only to the audiece as their waifu. She cooks, she cleans, she is attractive, a tsundere, and she is the second most overly powered character other than Kirito. The romance is superficial considering that they barely knew each bother before Kirito proposed. Still a better love story than Twilight though. Your side characters consists mainly of moe archetypes, cliche villains with lame motives, an incestal cousin, other girls to add to Kirito's harem, and other male characters who are not given much of a background and only there to make Kirito look more awesome.

Sound 8:10

The voice acting is decent in SAO along with some of the sound effects. The OST are composed mainly by Yuji Kaijura, who did some of the music for anime like Pandora Hearts or Madoka Magica. The themes are not bad either. So the osts are pretty good, one of the few saving graces of this anime.

What would have been a great anime if they had they stuck to the original storyline and not fallen into a typical harem anime, SAO would have been much better. Overall, I give Sword Art Online a 5.5 out of 10.

• 6 years agoReport

What rate would you give season 1? The continuation in season 2 turned out really bad and weird, so I know it dragged the rating down. Superficial romance? You should reconsider by the thought that the timeline is 2 years and the gap close between some of the time we see them can be weeks/months.

I actually like it, it's one of the few animes out there devoted to develop the romance aspect while still having action. Although it's necessary to remark that it is NOT the best anime ever made but most haters just hate it because it's popular which i find stupid because even though is not a master piece, true anime watchers (that have seen atrociously made animes, like me) are bound to enjoy it.

I think I'm really starting to love it, at the beginning like the first 5 or so episodes, it was such a cool anime, since this idea was original and cool, and it would be so cool if nervegears were real :DD

but after a bit it just started to get boring for me, but when it got to the 20-ish episodes, I really love it, I loved how real Kirito and Asuna's love was shown in the later episodes, in the earlier ones it just seemed so typical, but not its awesome!

I am both an online piano teacher and an offline piano teacher. After teaching extensively both ways, I can honestly tell you that I see many more advantages with learning online. Learn here https://tr.im/LearnPiano

Keep in mind that, while surprising, those words only hold true with an online program that has every component it needs to provide you with the potential benefits.

if you say anime then i don't like it i personally read the novel because i think too much hole plot in anime so this anime overall i average though i say this anime have good story

Source(s): Just Incompetent