Do I need solvent for oil painting?? (read description please)?

hey guys, ok so, I got my first painting set today at michael's and it said inside the little book that came in it that for preparation and to use for cleaning the brush in between when I'm painting well, I went inside and one of the worker's told me that it has solvent in it so I don't need it, is this true, should I really not need solvent?? it doesn't seem like i would, I would've gotten a set with acrylic paints but they didn't have that in the set I wanted and my mom told me that was pretty good for a starter kit (it's 31 pieces, includes oil pastels)......anyways clearly I know almost nothing about painting, but I've been really wanted to try it for awhile so I got that, anyways sorry this I so log and thanks!! :)

• BeBe
    Best Answer

You can try to use other things to clean your brushes but OMS (odorless mineral spirits-solvent) is pretty essential for cleaning brushes and wiping out mistakes on your canvas. You can try cleaning your brushes with a bar of soap or Murphy's Oil Soap. I have tried many things and I still use OMS.

For an underpainting I like to use OMS mixed with paint for a thin coat that dries fast. Also, you need the kind from an art store, not a hardware store.

• Jay

When using oil pastels you don't need a solvent, you only need a solvent when using regular oil paint to thin or clean your brushes

A simple way to clean brushes is to use a paint thinner until you don't see any more paint then after that just use warm water and dish detergent to get out the paint thinner do this and they will last for a long time.

Just reshape the brush after you clean it with the warm water and soap

and let dry. don't stand you brushes up in a can or jar and leave them because they will get misshapen. Clean them and then lay them flat to dry.

If you are using the solvent to clean for one painting to another that is fine. That is turpentine which is the same as odorless mineral spirits. You can buy it by the gallon at home depot.

When I finish painting With oils, I use a paper towel to take th excess paint and always use the following:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/the-masters-2-...

Is a little expensive, but I have brushes that are five years old still in perfect condition. And it lasts a long time.

Hope that helps.

When oil painting you always need mineral spirits for thinning your paint and cleaning your brushes.

It's turpentine that you don't need and turpentine is kind of smelly, anyway.

I've been painting for 13 years.