Communications Major: Public Relations Manager?

I'm currently an undergrad first year student majoring in Criminal Justice.

Recently, I've became interested in Communications/Public Relations. I was initially looking at Marketing, however Math isn't my strongest subject. I'm excellent in English however. My goal in majoring in Communications would be to become a Public Relations Manager.

I just wanted some insight on Communications/Public Relations Management from someone who either is currently majoring in Communications, or someone who is a PR manager. Is this going to be a waste of time and money, or is it worth it?

Favorite Answer

Congrats on your education and having a sense of direction. The criminal justice field often pays well. Communications is a tough job market. Try energy and mining companies that pollute a lot. You may want to add a business related mba.

Complete thorough realistic research to achieve life sustaining income. Maybe accounting, engineering, law, medicine, computers, ....

Pick a path where you don't start working bankrupt with debt. Don't become another casualty of the Trillion$ student debt. You must earn enough, $200k+ to support a family in a major City. Do not low ball your life and your family. If you can't find work volunteer to get in the door. Try volunteering at good potential employers and go down from there to community service, but get in anywhere and start working/networking, even if its for free.Be a model worker, no yapping, internet, cell phone..start work 30 minutes early and end work 30 minutes after day's end. Keep learning from more courses, read books, get another language, etc

Almost 50 million people on food stamps, ~20% of males 25 to 54 yrs not working, lowest SATs in 40 years, debt to GDP over 100%, 25% of global prison inmates with only 5% of global population, etc and whats uncle sams answer to America's problems? Corrupt political paralysis and meteroic debt plague spiking by adding a trillion dollars of debt in 2013 to criminally prop up financial markets artificially. What a mess we live in!

America You are On Your Own. YOYO's the word. Never forget it. Take control of your own lives and ignore what ever fictonal solutions the politicians and corporate bobble heads throw around as their self-profiteering benevolence.

Abandon obese consumer spending debt addiction culture and self enslavement. Cut your lifestyle in half or less of the destructive unrealistic American dream standard....small house or apt..one car or no car .. always have a second job cause the one you have can/will disappear ...save and invest over 50% of your income if you can .... stay with your parents....parents move in with your kids...Rent with friends...rent rooms in your home ..Live like the wage you make today could be the last you'll earn, always. Stay away fro ponzis. get rich scams, online rip offs and purple koolaid cults.

Most of all maintain constructive positive relationships and forward planning. Have fun at it without spending money. What you are wanting to do is great but do it with a strong dose of reality and caring for your future, family and community