Is there a correlation between IQ and music taste?

Recent studies found that there is a strong link between music taste and IQ: Electronic 122 Classical 117 Indie 112 Rock 111 Metal 109 Alternative 106 Jazz 102 Pop 101 R&B 92 Rap 88 Gospel 82 So there IS a correlation between IQ and music taste. It seems electronic, classical and Indie fans are part... show more Recent studies found that there is a strong link between music taste and IQ:

Electronic 122
Classical 117
Indie 112
Rock 111
Metal 109
Alternative 106
Jazz 102
Pop 101
R&B 92
Rap 88
Gospel 82

So there IS a correlation between IQ and music taste. It seems electronic, classical and Indie fans are part of the elite while rap and gospel fans are more beast than man.

Seriously though, I think there are some interesting points here:

1) The IQ of pop fans seems to be brought up by the fact that 70% of the population listen to it. The IQ of the ignorant 12 year old girls is being brought up by the rest of the population.

2) Popularity (of the genre) ≈ lack of intelligence. There is certainly a correlation between the popularity of the genre and intelligence ie pop, rap and r&b are very popular; electronic and classical certainly aren't very popular. So it seems that deviating from the norm is best, although it is electronic and classical fans who are laughing, not the hipsters.

3) The complexity of the music is related to IQ: electronic (trance, house, techno, dubstep, ambient...), classical and metal are probably the 3 most complex (relatively popular) genres. Take a song from any of these genres and there will be layers and layers of sounds. It's not like rap which can be knocked out of FL Studio in 20 minutes.

4) The 2 most popular genres are largely non-vocal. I've never heard a vocal classical song (well, I guess opera) and even electronic vocal songs (lets say trance) consist of 20% vocals and 80% music. In comparison gospel is completely vocal as is rap, r&b and pop.

5) This is probably going to be more controversial, but if you look at the generalised demographics:
-Classical: Asian or rich white
-Electronic: again white and Asian. Electronic music has now spread worldwide and there are well-known producers from every corner of the globe.
Pop: young, ignorant, immature
R&B and rap: poor, often black
Gospel: black, religious (significantly lower IQ on average)
*This is not meant to breed hate, I'm simply pointing out the facts. I'm not saying that all black people are dumb (look at Neil de Grysse Tyson) or that all Asians or whites are intelligent.
---

What do you think about this?
Are there any other points you want to make?
Update: By electronic it meant trance (multiple layers, has great depth, beautiful melodies), house, ambient, dubstep not four-to-the-floor pounding techno.
19 answers 19