Can a Navy IT get the Air Warfare pin?

Someone told me ITs used to be able to get the air warfare pin, but not anymore. Is that true?

Favorite Answer

I do not know about the policies now; but back then, you must be qualified for whatever field you are in first (as an IT, you may have to get ESWS first), then if you had a chance to earn another warfare, you could do it on your own time.

For example, I was already qualified for EWS (EOD Warfare Specialist) & PJ (Navy & Marine Corps Parachutist). Then I went on a long deployment on the same carrier as a Helicopter Squadron (HS-3; I think the name was changed), so I would go hang out with the crews (on my own time) and got my EAWS (Enlisted Aviation Warfare Specialist) by the end of the deployment.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=55...

If you are in a SN rate you should get a Surface pin 1st BUT you can get an AIR pin 1st if you are attached to and AIR command.

If you're on a tremendous deck gator, or one with an aviation department. If it is a ship like the Whidbey Island class, that does not have a everlasting aviation department, then no.

• Cooks too! Not gonna give your fuzzy butt a link though! YOU do not deserve it Skippy!

SSG US Army 73-82