Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

Taekwondo vs Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.?

Hello. I picked up Taekwondo when I was 6 until I was 9 and got up to a red belt. I quit to play hockey which was a big mistake, but picked up Taekwondo again last year after quitting hockey, as well as MMA and a slight bit of BJJ. I am still a white belt in BJJ and a blue belt right now in Taekewondo, and test for my Taekwondo black belt next December (1 year from now). A lot of my friends have recently joined a more popular and more local Mixed Martial Arts gym and started practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I want to join very badly, but am not certain weather or not to quit Taekwondo and MMA and pick up BJJ full time and get a black belt in that instead of Taekwondo, or wait until I get my 1st Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo. Any suggestions? Please no hate comments.

Favorite Answer

If you are thinking of changing schools then you should do it now. Quitting a school straight after getting your black belt, if that is your sole intention from when you first joined, is like a slap in the face to your instructor. Much time and effort goes into teaching you up to the black belt stage and the hope is that you will stay on and make their school stronger and help other students as people have helped you. If you leave for these reasons then they may never let you back in if you change your mind later.

You should leave a school because YOU want to, never just because another school is more popular or because your friends are doing it - show some individuality.

Source(s): 25 years teaching and learning martial arts.
  • Alison

While you will likely hear many who clamor that you do "This Art" over "That Art" for "This Reason" or "That Reason", it is more important that you focus one what YOU enjoy most of all. TKD is fine. BJJ is fine. I don't care much for either of them, however that should and hopefully means absolutely nothing to you. If you will be holding a black belt in each style, I'm not sure why you will be making the choice if you enjoy both of them. Talk with both instructors and see if you can fill any assistant instructor roles in order to possibly get a break in tuition and hopefully continue both, if that is what you choose to do. If such an accommodation cannot be made, do not let biased third parties whom you do not know try to persuade you to make a decision that you, yourself, would not make of your own accord. If the issue is not about tuition paid to either school, but rather the cost of travel, you should endeavor to make such travel possible. Either get a part time job or a full-time job (if you are in school) in order to finance your training. Good luck!

You should focus on one thing first so finish the tae kwon do black belt then get a belt in Brazilian jiujitsu or start doing mma.

just get the taekwondo belt first then join it

quitting now would be like dropping out your junior or senior year of high school

You should not hop schools based on the style, rather the quality of the instructor. If you are happy with your instructor, simply stay there. If you are cross training at another MMA gym as well, I think you are well off.

Go to taekwondo once a week and go to bjj the rest of the week