When Jesus said, "whoever believes in Me shall have eternal life", what exactly did He mean?

What does it truly mean to believe, and how does our 21st century concept of faith and belief differ from the 1st century concept of faith and belief? When Jesus called people unto Himself, what are the words that He used, and what was implied by those words?

John wrote in his gospel that Jesus performed many authenticating signs in order "that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name." So how is believing that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God supposed to impact our life? What is implied in those titles that would change the course of our lives by simply believing these things about Jesus?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Heller
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

The book of 1 John is an entire book written for the purpose of showing people that they believe in Jesus. This also has the reverse effect and shows people that they don't believe in Jesus.

1 John 5:13 " These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."

Also that smart guy up top that says Jesus tells us to hate our family shows the ignorance that atheists have regarding the bible. That was a comparison to the love you are meant to have for Jesus. You should love Jesus so much that it looks like you hate the ones closest to you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • It's not just faith.

Faith without works is dead.

It's means to believe Jesus is the Son of God.

• 7 years ago

If we 'believe on Him', we believe everything He said, and then we do it as we are

empowered to do that.

Believe is a power word but got overused, watered down in the English translation.

Once I believe, then I have the faith that Jesus will do what He said He'd do.

One of the verses that is important to me in my life is 'watch' which means to

be on the lookout, to know there is danger and know that we have to carefully

guard everything we're taught.

We have to 'watch' our tongue, not just let it loose saying anything, anywhere.

Because there is so much distraction today, TV, i-pads, i-pods, tons of

entertainment, then all those concepts can fade and blur.

But if they remain vibrant, and real, then we certainly have eternal life,

and we are the new family, and the old family who do not believe

are passed away, and the person moves on.

• 7 years ago

To know what a statement mean, you got to understand what is being expressed by the speaker rather than what is beingf implied. To include implication is to inject an idea that is foreign to the thought of the speaker. "Simply believing" is not a biblical idea; rather, we have to stick to all of what the Bible says in a given subject.

The Bible says, "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, NOT ONLY to believe on him, BUT ALSO to suffer for his sake" (Philippians 1:29). We it says, "not only to believe," there are more things that we have to do.

"And BESIDES THIS, giving all diligence, ADD TO YOUR FAITH virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins" (1 Peter 1:5-9). It isn't faith alone.

Jesus Christ isn't talking of a blind faith; He is talking about faith that works.

Source(s): 1 Thessalonians 1:3, NIV - "your work produced by faith."
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Debe L
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Wow, Jim! It would take an entire Bible study to answer all your questions completely. However, I’ll try to state the main points quickly.

All focus throughout the entire Bible was and is Jesus Christ. In the Old Testament, before Jesus came to earth manifested as a human baby, humanity was instructed to look for a Messiah/Savior who would save them from eternal torture for all eternity. Through their faith in what God said about sending a Savior that would come to save them, they received God’s promise of eternal life. (Ex. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and others in Hebrews 11.) It was their faith that was counted as righteousness, not their obedience or good behavior.

After Christ was born and grew up, for 3 years He told everyone He was God and that no one could come to the Father except through Him. He preached the gift of eternal life through faith in believing He was who He said He was.

After Christ suffered, died, and was resurrected, the apostles preached eternal life was offered to everyone, but would only be given to those who believed on the work of Jesus Christ on the cross ALONE. There was no work or deeds that would satisfy God’s wrath or eternal punishment except what His Son had already done.

So, there is no difference in believing on Christ from the 1st Century up to today. All belief/faith either looked TO the coming cross, or BACK at the cross for their eternal life. The bottom line is: eternal life is a gift offered to all men by God, but only those who rely on the suffering, death, and resurrecting of Jesus Christ alone as full payment for all their sins, (without adding any of their own good works), will be given eternal life. The last thing Jesus said before He died was, “It is finished”, because it was. All sins had been paid for. Once a person chooses to believe on Christ alone, he receives the free gift of eternal life promised to him by God.

Once a person knows without a doubt he’ll spend his eternal life in heaven, it impacts his life in all aspects. He can then experience the love of God through answered prayers, understanding His Word, and better appreciate His creation and people. (1 John 5:13 - These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may KNOW that you HAVE eternal life.) When a person no longer fears death or hell, and when he knows God will always hear His prayers and help him in times of need, that person becomes liberated and free. Sure he’ll still make mistakes, but no longer does sin have to be his master. God promises He will never leave or forsake him, and God cannot lie.

Source(s): Bible
  • 7 years ago

It means believe in him and you shall be saved....believing in Christ impacts your life by being born again....you must be born again to inherit the kingdom of God. No hope at all without jesus.

God loves you.....

• 4 years ago

It's proper, i have noticeable it hundreds of thousands of instances. It is all about faith, God is a God that demands faith. So while you pray for something in accordance with His will to your lifestyles and do not slip into doubt or disbelief you're going to see it occur, it does show up itself from the spiritual realm to the physical realm. M't:9:29: Then touched he their eyes, pronouncing, in line with your faith be it unto you. ♥ † ♥ ☺

• 6 years ago

You just have to belive

• 7 years ago

He meant that we shall have eternal life in heaven. Then in the old testiment it says Gays will go to hell, yet in the New Testiment Jesus says "Oh no it's cool, believe in me and you'll go to heaven"..contradictions all the bloody time.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

He means if you have the intelligence to not follow him, he believes God will have you tortured for eternity.

But he loves you.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." - Luke 14:26

Jesus was immoral and commanded that you hate your family and your life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.