Duke University Denied to Deferred/Accepted?

Hey,

I recently got rejected from Duke Early Decision. Although I felt I was qualified to get accepted, or at least get deferred, I got rejected. When my counselor heard he said that was not right and he was going to call the person the school knows at Duke. I know it is a long shot and am not expecting anything to happen, but has anyone ever heard of their rejection being changed into either a deferred or acceptance?

Favorite Answer

Duke had an extremely competitive ED pool this year. Even those who are qualified get rejected from schools with very selective admissions, there just aren't enough spaces. The reason EA and ED rates are higher than regular decision at top colleges is because the highest qualified kids apply, it's actually tougher to be admitted, rather than easier. While Duke received 2540 ED applicants for 753 spaces, they will receive 29000+ applications to fill the remaining 962 spaces. They actually accepted more ED this year because the applicants were so strong. Maybe you were in a very competitive group, kids with your interests, similarities, high school type, etc. Maybe they basically filled most of those slots with ED applicants, so there was no point in deferring you. It's so hard to know.

Duke Early Decision article http://today.duke.edu/2012/12/earlydecision12

It is likely that your counselor cannot make admissions change their decision, and he likely can't be too pushy or they may feel less friendly toward your school. It's a delicate dance between the counselors and the college admissions personnel. Cross your fingers. Do you have anything new to add that wasn't in your application, something very strong? Like a recent major award, etc.

If you were competitive for Duke ED, you're qualified for many other wonderful colleges, and you will likely be very happy wherever you end up.

Good luck!

• MM

Only if the school made a coding error in their system. Duke is a very, very competitive school, and there are probably a lot of other people wondering what happened the same way you are right now. It'd be impressive if your guidance counselor has enough pull to overcome that, but I wouldn't count on it. At best, they might put you back in the pool to placate him and then just reject you again during regular decision.

• Erika

you're making an staggering element different than for the liberals section. Why is each and every thing constantly liberals and their doing? in case you seem at what in simple terms took place to Don Imus, easily those professors would desire to be fired, good while they say sorry. The President of the college would desire to resign or forced out and the coach given his interest back with reparations.

the problem you kids fail to rationalize is that while you think you "feel you were qualified," the standards they post are their MINIMUM standards for admission. so obviously they had a bevy or better qualified applicants this year. just meeting those standards is no guarantee you'd get in, an the fact remains they can only accept so many students each year.