What would happen if I renounced my citizenship?

Would I be thrown out of the country?

• BruceN
    Favorite Answer

You cannot renounce your US citizenship unless you voluntarily appear before a US Consul in a foreign country and voluntarily file an affidavit and request to do so. Under Affroyim v. Rusk you cannot lose your citizenship involuntarily.

Even then, your application could be rejected if you do not have alternative citizenship or authorization to remain in the country you are in as a stateless person or refugee, because having entered that country as a US Citizen, your visa becomes invalid and the US is generally obliged by treaty to accept you if they wish to deport you.

If you have dual nationality, you can still apply to re-enter the US as a visitor, provided you comply with the tax laws which provide for an exit tax to be paid to IRS.

A few hundred people a year renounce their US citizenship, but usually because they prefer alternative citizenship in the country in which they live.

Source(s): A consular official for the Dept of State once threatened to try to take my citizenship away because I worked for a foreign government. My Congressman sorted them out right away.

You become stateless.

Every county in this world can throw you out anytime they want.

According to UN they have to allow you to live in no mans lands.

You would become an illegal alien, probably banished to Mexico haha or maybe Pakistan. You probably like it there, make a new man of you :-)