Should I look for a different job or go back to school?

I graduated last year with a B.S. in Agricultural Management (with honors) and spent most of an extremely frustrating year trying to find steady employment. After quitting my job as an automotive tech, I moved out of state for an internship with a terrible company, which made several EPA and OSHA violations, moved back and worked night shifts as a baler operator at 8.00 an hour. After submitting over 135 resumes and cover letters, all of which were tailored specifically for the job, I finally have a salaried position... Which requires 50-70 hours a week of tedious, monotonous work. The pay is decent and I know I should be thankful since a lot of people are unemployed, but to put it simply, I hate my job and spend the entire morning and commute considering alternatives.

I just started 3 weeks ago, and I already want to quit.

I am starting to come to the realization that I may not be suited for this career. Are there any better options in agriculture which don't require me to move out of state? (I just signed an 11 month lease on an apartment to relocate for my current position.)

I have considered returning to school. For a while, I was set on going back for an MBA, or an Master of Science in Management, if I were to return to school. I also considered becoming a ranch hand (which probably doesn't pay well and requires a background with cattle that I just don't have), or a hired gun (which is probably not going to happen).

For the past few days, I considered going back for a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering, which is what I went to school for originally before changing my major. I figured engineering since the work would allow me to mark my achievements with a concrete structures at the end of a project. I'd like to work partly or mostly outdoors and partly indoors. And something that allows me to use my cognitive abilities rather than performing functions that require little or no skill. Unfortunately, I am a hard person to keep entertained.

If it helps, I am an ISTJ according to Myers-Briggs. I would make a terrible salesman, insurance agent, telemarketer, etc...

I changed my major to agriculture after a semester of Civil Engineering because I was not good at Calculus, nor did I enjoy it. Since I have a degree now, I figured out that if I don't have to retake any courses, I could receive a BS in Civil Engineering in about 2.5 years. I also looked into getting a masters in engineering, but that would probably be a steep learning curve if they even admit me to the program. Keep in mind that I'm not completely sure that I would even enjoy this line of work, or anything else, for that matter.

Also, since I already have a degree, I doubt I would qualify for any additional financial aid.

I was also wondering if it was possible to find an engineering-type position that doesn't specifically require an engineering degree.

How do I go about finding a decent 40 hour, Monday through Friday 8-5 that provides some variety, and can pay the bills?

Favorite Answer

I would not quit a paying job in this economy. Its a good idea to pursuea second degree.

Congrats on your initiative. Good research efforts.

Complete thorough realistic research to achieve life sustaining income. Maybe accounting, engineering, law, medicine, computers,etc, Always get job descriptions with course requirements from employers, unions, certification groups/associations. Don’t sign up for education till you’ve done this, EVER!!!

Pick a path where you don't start working bankrupt with debt. Don't become another casualty of the Trillion$ student debt. You must earn enough, $200k+ to support a family in a major City. Do not low ball your life and your family. If you can't find work volunteer to get in the door. Try volunteering at good potential employers and go down from there to community service, but get in anywhere and start working/networking, even if its for free. Be a model worker, no yapping, internet, cell phone..start work 30 minutes early and end work 30 minutes after day's end. Keep learning from more courses, read books, get another language, etc.

There are almost 50 million people on food stamps, ~20% of males 25 to 54 yrs not working, lowest SATs in 40 years, debt to GDP over 100%, 25% of global prison inmates with only 5% of global population, etc and whats uncle sams answer to America's problems? Corrupt political paralysis and meteroic debt plague spiking by adding a trillion dollars of debt in 2013 to criminally prop up financial markets artificially. What a mess we live in!

You are On Your Own. YOYO's the word. Never forget it. Take control of your own lives and ignore what ever fictonal solutions the politicians and corporate bobble heads throw around as their self-profiteering benevolence.

Abandon obese consumer spending debt addiction culture and resulting self enslavement. Cut your lifestyle in half or less of the destructive unrealistic American dream nightmare standard....small house or apt..one car or no car .. always have a second job cause the one you have can/will disappear ...save and invest over 50% of your income if you can .... stay with your parents....parents move in with your kids...Rent with friends...rent rooms in your home ..Live like the wage you make today could be the last you'll earn, always. Stay away from ponzis, addictions, unhealthy lifestyles, get rich scams, online rip offs and purple koolaid cults.

Most of all maintain constructive positive relationships and forward planning. Have fun at it without spending money. What you are wanting to do is great but do it with a strong dose of reality and caring for your future, family and community. Good luck! Cheers:).

Source(s): cnbc life hr training

Perhaps you should give your new job a chance. It is usually a shock to graduates who have studied hard for several years to find their starting positions usually don't require any of the great knowledge they acquired. Instead it almost seems like a high school graduate could do the job. This disillusionment transfers into dis-satisfaction with the job. Look around. Are there any jobs at the company you would enjoy? If then focus on learning your current job functions inside and out and do a the best job you can to impress your boss you should be promoted. As soon as you are eligible start putting in for job openings in the company. I still think it is important to spend at least a year in a job before moving on. If you decide to go back to school I recommend the MBA route. If you did not like calculus you will not like engineering which is mostly working high level math problems. WIthout a math background you would have a very difficult time in an engineering masters course. Finding the right niche in the workplace can be difficult, and going back to school often does not change things much, you still have to start at the bottom and work your way up. There are plenty of field jobs in agriculture, but you need to require the basic experience to qualify for them. If your current company has field positions, find out what it takes to qualify and work towards achieving the necessary skills and experience. Since you have 11 months left on your lease, you really are not in a position to move to the open spaces right now. Use the remaining time to build your resume and look for a job with field work. Usually the federal or state government would be your best bet to become a farm agent. Best of luck The PracticaL Mentor

I think you should definitely go back to school! Having a good education is very important! Now days a B.S. is not much employers are asking for more and more. Mean while try finding maybe an online job so you can work from home! I am a premed student about to go into med school next semester and I work part time for a company called MCA. They offer a LOT of benefits and the possibility to make a lot of money from home! I am making more than I did working as an RN. Visit my website so you can see what it's about and contact me if you are interested. http://www.ourmca.com/Nathaly.html

Neither, use your BS to become an officer in the US Navy

http://www.navy.com/careers.html

http://www.navy.com/locator.html