pdooma
pdooma asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

If a union represents their workers well, and provides a quality service, wouldn't people want to join?

Why is there need to force people to join an organization and take money out of their paycheck?

Why would individuals not want to join the union?

• David
    Favorite Answer

The dues check off is how the Union collects the funds to provide the membership services, such as negotiation and representation. Just as there are a lot of people (usually called Republicans) who prefer not to pay their share of the taxes that support our nation, there are always some workers who would allow their co workers to pay the shot while they enjoy the benefits.

I am an ER physician. All of the nurses and technicians I work with are unionized, and without their union the hospital would underpay them, schedule them without notice and take risks with their health and safety. I support their right to organize and am grateful to have them behind me.

The golden age of Eisenhower that all those Republicans point to had the highest degree of unionization and the highest taxes in our history. Learn from that.

• Flower

They wont pay dues if they can get the same benefits and wages without paying. Eventually the local chapter of the union does not have the funds to operate and the place of business gets de-certified. Then all the employees can get fired and lower wage workers can get hired because the union isnt there to protect their jobs.

Why would I want to join and pay dues if I get the same benefits without joining?

And when the union loses efficacy because nobody joins and pays dues, well, why would I want to pay into such a useless organization?

There's a moral hazard in allowing people to benefit from the union but not contribute financially.

• ?

Fair argument. The union crowd won't agree with you though.

They are like the wealthy... they don't want to pay dues to get the benefits.